PDA

View Full Version : Playing with a delay / Big Sur Moon / Buckethead

EricV
03-01-2003, 05:42 PM
I once went through a phase were I was really trying to explore all the cool stuff you can do with effects, i.e. the cool doubling-kinda effect you can get with a delay.

If you know Yngwie´s "Echo Etude", or Nuno´s "Flight Of The WOunded Bumblebee", you know what I am talking about: a delay is used to add notes in between the ones that are actually played, which allows for stuff you couldn´t play with your fingers only :)

Anyway, I have been listening to "Colma" by Buckethead today, and there´s a short instrumental called "Big Sur Moon". As far as I can tell, he´s using a delay that repeats a note a dotted eigth note after it was played.
So I made up a short lesson based on "Big Sur Moon". In the upper staff, you see the original line ( turn off Guitar II to hear only that original line ), in the lower staff you see the echo repeats.

So there ya go, an exercise a lá "Big Sur Moon"

Eric

EricV
03-01-2003, 05:45 PM
Before I forget, if you wanna play the exercise at the tempo indicated ( 180 bpm ), and you have a digital delay, you need to set it 250 ms to get a "Dotted 1/8th" echo.
If you wanna slow it down, i.e. 120, set it to 375 ms

Eric

Bizarro
03-01-2003, 11:11 PM
Delay's are great, aren't they?

Any suggestions for other Buckethead material? I don't even know who he is or what band he might be in... Oh well, at least I would recognize the bucket. :p

I used to play Nuno's Bumblebee without delay, mainly the descending intro part and the harmonic minor type lick at the beginning. I didn't know any better! It's actually fairly easy to play with a delay.

szulc
03-01-2003, 11:20 PM
How do you turn off guitar II in Powertab?

EricV
03-01-2003, 11:35 PM
Well, either you take away the "Guitar In" above the lower staff ( measure 1 ) ( move the cursor there and click the "Guitar In" button... the "Guitar In" indicator should disappear then ), or
open the "Guitar"-menu, click on "Setup", click on "Gtr II" and set the volume to "off" ( it´s set to "fff" right now )
Eric

szulc
03-04-2003, 11:26 AM
Thanks Eric!

EricV
03-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Bizarro

Any suggestions for other Buckethead material? I don't even know who he is or what band he might be in... Oh well, at least I would recognize the bucket. :p

Well, he is ( or was until recently ) a member of Guns N Roses, and he is involved in all kinds of project. Check out this site: http://www.bingeandgrab.com

Personally, I consider "Colma" and especially "Electric Tears" some of the most beautiful stuff I have ever heard. It might not be the most representative stuff, cuz he´s doing a lot of uptempo-weird-industrial-shred-stuff etc., but those albums are absolutely beautiful and show a really deep and tasteful musician IMHO.
Other than those calm, relaxed ballad-albums, I´d recommend "Giant Robot", which is some really cool and extremely weird stuff where he also shreds a bit

I used to play Nuno's Bumblebee without delay, mainly the descending intro part and the harmonic minor type lick at the beginning. I didn't know any better! It's actually fairly easy to play with a delay.

GEEEEE ! LOL, yeah, it´s a bit easier WITH the delay. Reminds me of that old Greg Howe-interview, where he said that he learned to play the tapping-part of Eruption with the left hand only. ( or rather, a combination of picking and hammer on / pull off ). Cuz he didn´t know about tapping yet.
He said he came very very close to the original tempo. Kinda mind-boggling, huh ? :)

Eric

szulc
03-04-2003, 12:15 PM
When I first heard Eddie playing eruption I thought all the HO and PO was with the left hand and the right hand just fretted behind holding down the low notes on each string. So I learned it that way first. It was much easier when I saw Him and realized he was tapping with his right hand index finger!
That made figuring out most of his stuff easier.
But I did a good interpretation the other way first.

Bizarro
03-05-2003, 03:43 AM
Reminds me of that old Greg Howe-interview, where he said that he learned to play the tapping-part of Eruption with the left hand only. ( or rather, a combination of picking and hammer on / pull off ).

I read the same interview and learned how to do it that way too! The tone was awful playing it high up on the thicker strings, but if he could do it, I thought I'd give it a shot too.

In fact... that magazine is in my music room filed away somewhere.

And if you want to see a humorous interpretation of us guitar players...
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail36.html

EricV
03-05-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Bizarro
...but if he could do it, I thought I'd give it a shot too.

LOL, famous last words, huh ? :)
Seriously, sometimes it is fun to try something like that, to take something and play it a different way. If you i.e. listen to the sweep-etude Thorsten played during our "Shred Talk!", it´s very similar to "The Power Cosmic"... that etude Joe Satch recorded for a guitar mag in the 80´s...
Thorsten sweeped those min11-arps, Satch played them with the left hand only ( and mentioned later that he actually wanted to call it "Instant Tendonitis"... )

That´s what´s cool about picking out stuff by ear... you are forced to figure out your own way to play it. And maybe you´ll find a way that´s way easier to do than the original one.

Eric

Gee-Tar-rist
12-19-2007, 07:05 AM
i have a DD-6, what settings do i use, ive only just got it, so i dont know how the settings exaclty work yet. it has a 300ms mode. do i use that?