PDA

View Full Version : Listening recommendations Part II... New players

EricV
05-31-2002, 07:57 AM
Hi guys,

here is another list of listening recommendations. This time I wanna focus on "new players". That term might be a bit confusing. What I actually do mean is rather unknown players, or players who just released their debut and are slowly making a name for themselves... or players who try something completely different ( not yet another dude playing Harmonic minor scales and sweeping arps on a Strat plugged into a Marshall ... )... or all of the above

1. Buckethead- Colma
Buckethead is not THAT new anymore, after all he released several albums and also is with Guns N´Roses now. The record that completely took me by surprise is "Colma"... no shred here, just a very quiet album... simple, repetitive chord progressions, mainly played on acoustic guitar or clean electric guitar. It also is great music for meditation. And he plays a VERY inspired solo in "Machete"... it took me a few listens to get into this one, but these days, it´s one of my favorites. Very pretty.

2. Toshi Iseda- Full On !
I met that dude at a trade-show, saw him play workshops for Washburn. He plays a seven-string, and did some great jamming over some jamtracks.
His first album is pretty cool, lots of nice grooves and great playing. Tony MacAlpine plays a guest spot on the record.

3. Mattias IA Eklundh- Freak Guitar
This dude is slowly making a name for himself. And I think, with him it´s a "love it or hate it" thing. He has a very unusual approach to the guitar. His album is full of programmed grooves and loops, and guitar-wise, he plays some WACKY stuff. He´s using a whammy pedal, and does some very fast stuff that almost sounds like a video game.
But you know what ? I like that. I mean, sometimes it´s fun to listen to someone do wild stuff like that, and he also does some beautiful playing on an acoustic guitar in "Time To Breathe".
He sounds like a mix between Vai, Yngwie, Zappa and Buckethead, to me. Quite unique, but might not be everyone´s taste.

4. Warmth In The Wilderness- A Tribute To Jason Becker
This album features a lot of yet unknown players ( Like Eklundh ) but also some "big names" ( like Marty Friedman, Steve Morse, Paul Gilbert... )
And those guys are redoing tunes by Jason Becker ( Cacophony, David Lee Roth, solo-stuff ). Some VERY interesting new guys among them, and some pretty music and wacked-out playing.
I especially like Dave Martone´s version of "Higher" ( arranged for guitar ) and Mattias Eklundh´s original tune "Lydia´s House" ( killer hook-line ! )

5. Ron Thal- Adventures Of Bumblefoot
An extremely talented and creative dude, and one wacked-out album. It´s definitely zappa-esque. Some extremely cool-playing, sometimes just shred, sometimes seriously interesting...

6. Michael Lee Firkins- dto. or "Chapter Eleven"
OK, this dude is not new. Those albums are a few years old, and he also played on Jason Becker´s "Perspective"album.
I think he belongs on the list anyway, cause he definitely tried something new.
Once you listen to him, you´ll think he is a cool slide-player. When you WATCH him, you´ll be surprised to see that he is not using a slide... he does it all with the bar. The music is sometimes extremely bluesy, sometimes a bit Dregs-influenced. Great player, also has very interesting rhythm parts.
Those albums were released on the Shrapnel-label, but there´s no neoclassical stuff to be found here. One of the most interesting players, he also can sound like Jeff Beck sometimes.

Anyway, that was my list for today. Other than Toshi Iseda ( who plays rather traditional instrumental rock, but with lotsa cool grooves and melodies ) those guys really sound refreshing and new, and that I like to hear sometimes.
Anyway, check those out, maybe you´ll find something you´ll like...
Warm regards
Eric

nickwellings
05-31-2002, 11:25 AM
I didn't know Eklund used awhammy pedal, I thought he used harmonics!

I agree with everyone you posted...I think Thal has done the most to push the boundries...his songs are great. Comedy, melancholy, depression...Thal has songs to fit most moods. He did a great cover of Satriani's "Always with..." for a tribute album.

Buckethead...a crazy mofo. :D

Firkins, my word....beautiful stuff.

Ok...lets see. Some that come to mind.

Scott Mishoe?

Now a grown up child prodigy. Stupidly good.

A guy called...Borislav Mitic...can play basically anything very well. Inluenced by world music and ethnic stuff.

Stephane Forte: Young guy. Sick playing.

Derek Taylor: Mental, crazy tapping.

Deryl Gabel: Plays crazy fusion.

Teryy Syrek perhaps? Great songs, melodicism in bucketloads. Talented chappie.

EricV
05-31-2002, 06:49 PM

Hi Nick...

I´m pretty much sure he uses both. It sounds like he is. He seems to like those high pitches... harmonics, whammy pedal, plus 27 frets ( or 29 ? ) ...:D

That song "Lydia´´s House" from the Becker-tribute has a great melody that keeps haunting me... it just sticks...

I agree with everyone you posted...I think Thal has done the most to push the boundries...his songs are great. Comedy, melancholy, depression...Thal has songs to fit most moods. He did a great cover of Satriani's "Always with..." for a tribute album.
Yeah, I heard that. I liked that version, it was quite different. He sure gave that little tapping-break a new twist, din´t he ? ;)

Actually, "Always with..." ( by Satriani ) is one of my alltime-favorite songs, it really inspired me to practise, cuz that was one of the songs I wanted to learn.
Still loving it...

Warm regards
Eric

szulc
05-31-2002, 11:22 PM
This guy has a great wang technique.
Listen to Deja Blues from his first release or Space Crickets for some beautiful feel.
More recent albums sound more country flavored. I don't think he uses a pick anymore.

EricV
06-01-2002, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I also like that ballad at the end of the first record a lot ( was that "Sargasso Sea" ? )
The second album was very bluesey, while on the third, he kinda mixed up those two approaches a bit. I love "Trinity Road", it sounds quite Beck-like to me...
On top of that unique whammy-bar-technique, he also uses a capodaster which he often moves throughout a song or solo.
That enables him to do some cool openstring-licks in every key...

Warm regards
Eric

jazzIII
06-04-2002, 04:30 AM
Hey Erik! It was cool to see you mention Dave Martone in your list! He is an aquaintence of mine who deserves some more recognition. Cool guy, great player.

The rest of your list was good too. I recently found "Freak Guitar" and enjoy his "modernized Zappa-isms"...right down to the wacky drawings in the booklet!

If I could add to the list, I'd name Chris Broderick (from Jag Panzer) who has smokin' chops, great ideas and solo construction...and a killer tone!

EricV
06-04-2002, 09:38 AM
Hey JazzIII..

Well, actually I was introduced by Dave Martone by Vicky, the host of the "Guitar Shop" radio show.
She had Dave in for an interview and played a lot of his music. I then got "Warmth In The WIlderness" and was really surprised by Dave´s wonderful guitar-version of "Higher"... I liked the choir-intro of the original quite a lot, and Dave did great when he arranged it for guitar.

Jag Panzer... I checked out the videos on their site last year. Chris did a tapping version of a Mozart-piece which was way cool, and he also played some solos from their recent album. Very cool. Did ya know that Joey Tafolla was the guitar-player for JP for a while ? It was in the beginnings of the band, and he later returned to provide some very impressive guitar-stuff for the "4th Judgement"-Album. Great player, cool dude.

Warm regards
Eric

jazzIII
06-04-2002, 05:02 PM
I have "The Fourth Judgement" and it's pretty cool. I must say that I prefer Jag with Chris for some reason; to me, he just fits better. Joey is a great player as well, of course!

Actually, I met Vicky (via the internet) on the Petrucci forum after responding to a post where she mentioned Dave. She is cool as well.:D

Madaxeman
09-02-2005, 09:57 AM
Hi Eric,
I spend a lot of time trying to find music that gets me going. I have recently been in a rut with the guitar hero rock/metal type players, and will be sure to check out some of the ones on your list. What has got me excited again was to venture outside my comfortable metal-rock listening zone and look at some styles that are different. I highly recommend to anyone out there stuck in the metal zone to try out jazz! Kurt Rosenwinkle, Joe Pass, Robben Ford, early George Benson, Pat Metheny, John McLaughlin are some great ones.
Learning to play jazz has really broadened my music horizons as well. Lots of key changes, complex chords, and different melody and harmony arrangements keep things interesting. I would love to hear from anyone about other different styles.
My music collection covers rock, metal, and blues styles, but jazz is relatively new to me.

Nolly
09-04-2005, 10:27 PM
I reckon one of the sickest players around at the mo is Greg Koch... Not really the same genre as most of the other guitarists mentioned here but his take on blues/rock is very twisted and definitely worth a listen-its not his speed that impresses (hes really not a shredder at all-think The Hellecasters/Jimi/Albert King) but he just plays the weirdest and most twisted versions of standard blues/country/rock licks ever!! pretty handy with a B-bender too! You don't have to be into that style of music to be awestruck at his playing... Check it out! oh yeah his best album is The Grip btw...

Strukkanurv
09-09-2005, 07:37 PM
I think you all should check this guy out...

http://www.jbonamassa.com/andy/andy6.php

DemonSorcerer
09-09-2005, 10:59 PM

He does use harmonics...i've seen a couple videos of him doing crazy things with natural harmonics and the whammy bar...

Ok...lets see. Some that come to mind.

Scott Mishoe?

Now a grown up child prodigy. Stupidly good.

A guy called...Borislav Mitic...can play basically anything very well. Inluenced by world music and ethnic stuff.

Stephane Forte: Young guy. Sick playing.

Derek Taylor: Mental, crazy tapping.

Deryl Gabel: Plays crazy fusion.

Teryy Syrek perhaps? Great songs, melodicism in bucketloads. Talented chappie.

Well, i've heard of Mishoe's playing...he appears in several guitar compilations...great playing, very, very swingy...i like that...he released an album....but i just can't remember the name of it.

As for Stephan Forte goes, he's a French guitarists...he plays in Adagio, a neoclassical/proggressive/power metal band...great work, they've released two albums, and the third is coming soon...fiery fretwork, even when he's not as young as you may think...(he's like 5 years older than me, and i'm 26, so go figure...)

I would like to add a name to this list...another frenchman...Cyril Achard...he's one of the leading forces of proggressive guitar in France...god, he's unbelievable...great melodic taste, unworldly chops, a great composer...if you have the chance, check his first album...it's called "Confusion"...believe me...you won't be disappointed

David