PDA

View Full Version : What key for tapping?

FireStorm
03-06-2003, 05:24 AM
Whenever you are tapping, how do you tell what scale or key you are doing? For example, if you tap with your right hand on the twelve fret and then hammer on from the 5th to 8th fret with the left hand is that in the key of E just because the right hand tapped E. Or could it be considered A as the A minor pentatonic has all 3 of those notes (E, A, C) in it?

EricV
03-06-2003, 10:35 AM
The key I tap in depends on what key the song is in, just like with all other soloing.
So, if I play a song in E Major, I tap notes from that scale.

Your example ( A-C-E ) can be used in several different keys and will have a different sound in each one.
Like, those notes spell an A Minor Arpeggio ( A-C-E ), so it works well in the key of A Min / C Maj. It also works well in all other keys that the Amin or those notes appear in:
Emin / G maj
Dmin / Fmaj

And if you like the sound of that arp, you can just move it up or down the neck, or to different strings, based on the key you are in.
Try it out by jamming, using that one in different keys... try to find some tapping-patterns and use them according to what key you´re in
Eric

MetalMessiah
03-11-2003, 07:13 AM
There is a nifty little trick that you can do if you are wondering how to stay in key while tapping (this works best for hard rock and metal types). You can use the root note as an anchor note and then go up and down chromatically with your tapping.

http://www.metalmessiah.com/examples/sound.gifClick here to hear the example. (http://www.metalmessiah.com/examples/tapping.mp3)

(All examples are played on the high E string).

|--17-15-12-16-14-12-15-13-12--| and back up again.

|--19-17-12-18-15-12-17-14-12--| and back up again.

The last part is a cromatic tap that goes down the neck in a very spontanious fashion. Imagine it to be a very elaborate pick slide. ;) Please exuse the recording, it was done on the fly and my fingers weren't warmed up. Excuses excuses, eh? :rolleyes:

I hope this helps.
Paul Viani

FireStorm
03-15-2003, 11:48 PM
COOL :eek:

Bizarro
03-16-2003, 05:45 AM
MetalMessiah: that's a cool lick!

Firestorm: One important thing to remember about tapping is that its just another way of articulating notes on the guitar. Your note choices shouldn't really change, but the way you are playing them will change (meaning you'll be tapping instead of picking.)

MetalMessiah
03-16-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Bizarro
MetalMessiah: that's a cool lick!
Thanks, I appreciate that.

szulc
03-16-2003, 01:52 PM
There is a nifty little trick that you can do if you are wondering how to stay in key while tapping (this works best for hard rock and metal types). You can use the root note as an anchor note and then go up and down chromatically with your tapping.

So what 'KEY' do you consider this to be 'IN'?

szulc
03-16-2003, 02:02 PM
Learn Lengthwise scale patterns (Along each string), for the Major, Melodic, Harmonic, Pentatonic and Blues scales.
Then tap notes out from them. You can RH tap notes out from a higher position of the same scale you are playing with your left hand, across several strings. You can use your right hand to tap out the top notes of arpeggios through a chord progression (which may or may not be in one key). Sometimes I use the right hand to tap the top note within the scale position I am playing just to get more speed and a more legato effect.

MetalMessiah
03-16-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by szulc
So what 'KEY' do you consider this to be 'IN'? This lick is in the "key" (<== I have no idea why you did this, but I'll just emulate for now) of E, since the "anchor note" is the 12th fret on the high E string.

Technically, however, you could use this lick for another key since it is so chromatic, but it would probably sound best for E.

szulc
03-16-2003, 06:55 PM
I guess my point here was that you are talking about staying in key. This lick doesn't have a single key! It contains E-B chromatically.
If you were thinking about pitch axis with E as the root note than what keys is it in? E what?

The first lick goes AGE then G#F#E then GFE. The first and last piece of the first lick could be in E Phrygian, the middle piece E Ionian or E Mixolydian.
The second lick goes BAE A#GE AF#E. The first piece has several choices: E Ionian; E Aeolian; E Dorian; E Phrygian; E Mixolydian. The second piece of the second lick could be in E Lydian.
The third piece coud be in: E Ionian; E Dorian; E Mixolydian, E Aeolian.

You could further analyze this for other scales Pentatonic or Harmonic / Melodic minor.

Shane
03-17-2003, 05:21 PM
szulc, that last post made me chuckle man....

I think the important thing to realize metal messiah is that in that lick, you are using what are commonly known as Nonharmonic Tones out the Wahzoo. Due to the speed at which tapping usually occurs, this dissonance sounds cool, and adds a very mysterious and intense element to the piece, but you cannot really think of it in the "key" of E, simply because of the spontanaeity of the notes - like you said. This is the reason why I like modern music, because of the abandonement of conventional "rules" and the willingness to just sit down and play the f'ing guitar.

Please note: To all the gregorian chanters out there, I meant no offense to any of you and your Perfect intervals by writing this post,

much love,
Shane

szulc
03-17-2003, 05:49 PM
I guess my point here was that you are talking about staying in key.

This was my point.
I realize there are many Non-harmonic Tones here but I just wanted to bring up the point of this post was "staying in key".
In addition I attempted to answer the original question.

There are common misconceptions here about what "in Key" really means. The definition I choose is; remaining diatonic to one particular scale or mode, obviously if you are in non-diatonic keys you must just play only notes from within that scale. Visiting or neighboring tones are acceptable when they are part of the resolution or necessary tension in some particular cadence.

If your goal is atonal music then "in key" is meaningless.

I chose to analyze this as a pitch axis study since the E note was constant throughout.

I have no problem with modern music or free jazz, this post was just misleading and I wanted to correct this for the bulk of our readers.