PDA

View Full Version : First Time

Tes21
03-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi All,

Thursday will be my first time practicing with a new band. This is not a gig, but just a practice. I am a former college football coach that is very organized in most situations and was looking for some help so I don't have to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. My question is what things do I need to make sure I bring to practice? I know that some of you have a checklist probably already made up and some might have a horror story or two of things that you forgot for a gig or practice. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Tes

EricV
03-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Did you decide on what songs to play already ? Or are you gonna write songs with them ?
If you are gonna cover songs, unless you know them completely by heart, Iīd recommend to write lead sheets ( chords, structure... ) and bring that.
Also, make sure you have all the gear components you need ( cables, batteries, pedals ), and put them into some container ( instead of i.e. placing everything in the back of the amp or something )
Bring some tools, or a replacement guitar. If you happen to break a string, you can just grab the other guitar. If you donīt have a replacement, or donīt wanna take it to the practice, make sure you have new strings with you, and the tools to replace the string.
Maybe bring ear protection. It depends on the architecture of the room and on the general volume of the band, but it can be exhausting to be right next to the drumset, with the crash cymbal on ear level, with your amp blasting at you from the opposite side.
Before you leave, go through your bags / case once more to see whether you have everything. Take your time for that. Donīt forget essentials like extra picks, your strap etc
Eric

forgottenking2
03-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Bring plenty of patch cables!! You never know when those suckers decide to go dead on you, and bring enough picks as well. An extra (I'd actually bring a couple) pack of strings. An extension cord and a power regulator (just the wall wart kind), bring extra bateries if you power your pedals with them. Other than that, just take your guitar amp and other gear and you'll be fine.

phantom
03-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Hm..

Be on time.
Know the Songs.
Know your gear and be able to adjust it to the bandsituation.
Have an extra set of strings.
Be :cool:.

:)

forgottenking2
03-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Hey we posted at the same time!

phantom
03-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Wow.. one reply a minute is pretty cool as well. :D

EricV
03-27-2006, 03:16 PM
I guess weīre helpful. Or need a life =)
Eric

forgottenking2
03-27-2006, 04:05 PM
LOL yeah... we'll leave that unanswered... let's have them think we are helpful :D

phantom
03-27-2006, 04:46 PM
"I guess weīre helpful. Or need a life =) "

Laughing my phantom a** off...

:D

Real horrible things don't happend during a rehearsal because it is.. a rehearsal after all.
It is just too annoying to play with coins if you forget your picks..
And a pity if you come to late and everyone else had already 3 beers..
And too embarrasing if you don't know the songs...

I guess we all had that before and know how bad it is, so we want to at least "save" the other souls. ;)

Tes21
03-27-2006, 10:14 PM
All,

Thank you for your quick replies. I have been on the road for my real job and just got logged in via my company computer. I appreciate all the info and I will make sure I use them all.

Thanks again, it is much appreciated.

Tes

UKRuss
03-28-2006, 07:35 AM
It's a good point about knowing the songs Phantdude.

One thing I've always wondered though, if the band haven't told you what you're gonna be playing, what would be the standards for a rock band?

Anyone have their top five songs you should know before turning up to a first time rehearsal with a blues/rock outfit?

ashc
03-28-2006, 07:45 AM
That's an interesting list idea. Obviously I'd like to hear that from people who actually might know, but for starters, how about?

Hey Joe
Purple Haze
Sweet Home Alabama
Sunshine of Your Love (or maybe White Room)
Whole Lotta Love
Highway to Hell

UKRuss
03-28-2006, 08:01 AM
We do four of those!(Highway,SweetHome,Wholelotta,Purple Haze)

I'd also add:

Black Magic Woman
Cocaine

ashc
03-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Black Magic Woman
Cocaine

What for the after show party? :D

The ones I listed I can either play (somewhat) or at least have attempted to play in the past - they are definitely amongst the essentials.

phantom
03-28-2006, 08:49 AM
Yeah.. there are some simple standard things that every band could/should be able to play i guess..
some AC/DC Stuff,
The "walking by myself" blues thingy,
Maybe some old Metallica,

I don't know how many hours i jammed through "E" and "A" blues/rock progressions.. because we didn't know any "real" song to play. :D

UKRuss
03-28-2006, 09:04 AM
Heh hehhhh, thats what we do...

Play the five songs we know and then jam blues all night.:D