PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Heroes youve met?

MetallicTheatre
03-09-2003, 10:56 AM
I was just wondering if anyone around these boards had met any guitar greats and if so who and what tips did they share with u?

Aaron

Oceano
03-11-2003, 06:12 PM
I have met Adrian Legg a few years back. To me, he is a guitar hero.
I attended one of his clinics, and had the luck (actually, I was the first in line, after waiting 3 hours) of sitting first row centre, just a couple meters away from him.

He played some of his pieces, and answered some questions. The playing was amazing, and sometimes it's hard to believe that the guy is only playing one guitar at the same time. If anything, it was more inspiring than anything. Adrian's approach to guitar playing seems to be: just do it, and if it feels good to you, that's all that matters. When it came time to answer some theoretical questions, Adrian just let the audience know that he lets his fingers find the sounds he hears in his head. He does not think in terms of theory when writing.

afterwards, I manage to make my way backstage, and talked to him for a while, got a few autographs, and just walked away with the feeling that I met a very nice simple person, who happens to be an amazing player.

Oceano
03-12-2003, 03:21 PM
I have also talked to (after clinics) Roy Ashen (remember him? I wonder what he is doing now), Neil Zaza, Jennifer Batten, Rick Emmett (ex- Triumph). Rick has to be one of the best, and most underrated guitar players around. He is an all around player, and during his clinic, he played everything (amazingly well) from fusion, jazz, classical, blues/rock, shredd, ect.

I always get inspired after watching players that are "better" than me. Some people go home and throw their guitars out the window, but I am the opposite. I go home and play more, and better.

Guni
03-12-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Oceano
and just walked away with the feeling that I met a very nice simple person, who happens to be an amazing player.In my experience most of the greats are humble, honest people like you and me. This is what I got out of Berklee. There's not one day at this school where there isn't some kind of 'visiting artist' clinic or concert. So, the list would be pretty long ....

how it helped me? mmm tough one. It's not set advice - it's more about personality, character and inspiration.

Guni

Oceano
03-12-2003, 04:25 PM
How was the Berklee experience?

I remember some years back, really thinking of the possibility of trying to go there, or GIT, but it did not happen. I am mainly self taught, but did take some lessons for a few years with a really good teacher.

He told me a cool story about how he would take lessons from Joe Pass, at the university of Montreal (Joe Pass would come there to teach sometimes), and Joe Pass would prefer to be paid in Cuban cigars, as opposed to money.

Anyway, sometimes I feel like I missed out on something by not going to Berklee, or GIT, or something, even though I am happy with my playing level, etc.

Guni
03-12-2003, 04:49 PM
How was the Berklee experience?Hi Oceano,

Check out these threads:
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=824

Guni

Oceano
03-12-2003, 05:45 PM
Cool, thanks.
It's good to read different prespectives on the whole thing, but I am of the opinion that "life is what you make it". Meaning that you get out of it what you put into it.

Guni
03-12-2003, 06:08 PM
Yeah, isn't that always the case with whatever someone does, music or anything else ...

Just wondering: is your statement in direct response to what ya read in the threads or just a general perspective?

Oceano
03-12-2003, 06:47 PM
I applie that to life in general, even though sometimes life throws some curves at you, that you can't avoid and the consequences are out of your hands.

Relating it to guitar playing in specific, I hear the same thing from so many guys: I wish I could play like this person, or that person, but I can't. The reality, is that you can. Providing of course that you put in the amount of work, dedication and time that it takes, and don't expect it to happen overnight.

Guni
03-12-2003, 08:24 PM
Ah ok, now I'm 100% with you and I agree with everything you say.

Schooligo
03-13-2003, 09:14 AM
"Rick Emmett (ex- Triumph). Rick has to be one of the best, and most underrated guitar players around. He is an all around player, and during his clinic, he played everything (amazingly well) from fusion, jazz, classical, blues/rock, shredd, ect."

Yeah Oceano, Rik Emmett is awesome! :)

Rik is an inspiring musician &/or singer, versatile in numerous styles, educated, & uses alot of taste whenever he plays.

As stated in this thread:
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=819

(FYI: he's also a Professional artist, Graphic design, etc.)

Went to a guitar clinic he performed at, & he's been an influence ever since!
Quite possibly one of the nicest musicians I've ever met, as well as Steve Morse, John Petrucci, George Lynch, etc.

One of things I learned from him, that he really tried to encourage was to have as much "Balance in your Life" as possible, have moderation in all things, & set Priorities & realistic Goals!!!

What I mean is when he said that It really made a difference in my life, because even though I have heard the very same advice many times in my life, it was just so important to hear someone I very much respected reemphasize those Priorities!

Rik also use to have a column in(I THINK it was called Back to Basics in Guitar Player Magazine), & I have learned alot from him, based on that Column.

Being as your from Toronto you probably occasionally get an opportunity to see Rik, as I know he is involved as a member of the Board of one of the colleges up there.

Rik Emmett IMHO will be an influence to Musicians for a very long time if not Forever!!

Oceano
03-13-2003, 12:22 PM
Rick also does a lot of solo playing in Toronto clubs, etc. Laely, he has been doing some "adult comtemporary" instrumental jazz stuff, which I am not so crazy about, but it is still good guitar playing.

Wolfgang
03-13-2003, 01:56 PM
I've met Steve Vai, Ron Thal (who's a friend too) and IA Eklundh (another friend).
They're all cool cool people, and Ron and Ia are also soooo funny!
They inspire you as person as well as players.