PDA

View Full Version : playing style

bless
03-11-2003, 02:27 AM
Hi guys, i'm a newby here, can any one help me with this question, how to develop a player's own playing style?

Thanks.

the1andonly
03-11-2003, 03:06 AM
this is a very difficult task that can take years. I don't think anyone knows quite for sure how (at least not me..) but I'd recommend listening and playing all kinds of styles, and when you find something you like, keep doing it.

and another thing I like doing is find a lick you really like, and try changing it up until it sounds like something new and more your style.

Chim_Chim
03-11-2003, 04:47 AM
I'd say you want to be as well versed as you possibly can in all styles.

And then hone in on specific players individual styles and what techniques they bring to the table that makes them unique.

All while trying to move towards your specific genre of choice.

At the end of your journey you should be able to express your own ideas in your own unique way.

MetalMessiah
03-11-2003, 06:24 AM
The answer to the question: "How do I develop my own playing style," has ONE simple answer...

Play.

Each time you play, you are training yourself for your own style, whether you are conscious of it or not. Each new technique you use and each mannerism that you posess will be a part of your playing style. This is why you should always make sure you are not using bad technique while playing because learning incorrect technique can lead to a bad playing style, and that is very difficult to reverse.

I hope this helped.

Oceano
03-20-2003, 08:14 PM
That's all I can tell you.

EricV
03-20-2003, 08:40 PM
Well, playing of course is the essential tool to develop a style, but I also would recommend to LISTEN a lot. Listen to other players, try to pick up a few licks from them, and incorporate them into your style.
Try to combine learning other players parts and your own improvisations with mere exercises.
Also, listen to other instruments, see how they phrase and try to emulate that. A lot of guitar players, like Jennifer Batten and Alex Skolnick, have been influenced by listening to, transcribing and playing saxophone- and trumpet-parts.
It always helps to get out of a rut on the guitar...
Other than that, listen, practise, jam and play...
Eric