PDA

View Full Version : How to improve timing

nils152
04-27-2006, 12:36 AM
Hey all, you can probably guess by the thread title that my timing really sucks. I even am having problems keeping my timing on maidens-phantom of the opera main riff. I just tend to start picking too many notes and mess the whole timing up. I there anything you could suggest to help me please? thanks in advance

snufeldin
04-27-2006, 12:47 AM
metronome, baby, metronome. slow it down and build it up.

nils152
04-27-2006, 09:07 AM
do i av to set the metronome up and av certain note groups?ie play in 16ths?

snufeldin
04-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Play the note values that are in the song... don't worry about that though. Just slow it down.

hitmewithastick
04-27-2006, 09:45 PM
I don't know how many will agree that it's a good beginner thing to try, but I just got to say this.

I recommend that everyone who's got their alternate picking down, start practise sweep-picking, right now, even if you think it's just for showoff-shredding. 'couse since I started practising SP my timing got one h*ll of a lot better, and I relax my hand much more in playing, you just can't be tense if you going to sweep-pick, not to mention that my fingers find the right place much much faster. overall playing just went up.

but of course, with a metronome, and sloooow in the beginning.

mickeymidnight
09-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Yeah, Love all the replies, but how do you use the metronome? When do you come in?, when do you play the next line?, do I count after the last word of the line?, Help!!:confused: :confused:

hitmewithastick
10-03-2007, 04:15 PM
a metronome just gives you a steady beat, so you can come in at any time.
Its just there to help you stay on the beat, keep a steady pace and so on.
what do you mean by "do I count after the last word of the line?"

Malcolm
10-03-2007, 06:03 PM
....a metronome just gives you a steady beat, so you can come in at any time. Its just there to help you stay on the beat, keep a steady pace
...... does nothing to help you with rests, pauses, phrasings, 1/4 notes, 1/16 notes, etc. Or when to start the next verse...... and I think that is what you are really asking. When you start the next verse's notes IMHO is a feel thing, so....... Reading between the lines I think you may be sacrificeing control for speed. How can we work on that?

I rely upon the lyrics and sing the lyrics under my breath. Yes I know, but, 1) my songs have lyrics and 2) unless we are using standard notation how else are we to know what the timing is supposed to be? Notice I said timing not beat.

Guitar tab or fake chord will not help with the timing and the metronome only tells me the beat, not that the G note is to be held for a 1/2, 1/4 or a 1/16.

Lyrics work for me; no lyrics them humm the tune to the song, or the tune you hear in your head --- or rely upon standard notation, I really do not see another choice. So....... the metronome is just part of the solution. Like most of the things we do with our guitars - timing is a little more complicated and moves us into another skill level.

Like has been said slow down and increase your speed only as fast as you can control what you are doing -- I use lyrics or the tune to help me keep control. Do what is best for you.

mickeymidnight
10-03-2007, 07:50 PM
;) Hi Folks, Thank you for your replies. Malcolm, you hit the nail on the head with your reply. I can have a song in front of me and play it without any problem, however, sometimes I play 3 beats to the bar, then four, maybe five, then three...I'm all over the place. If you were a drummer beating the time, you would most probably throw a stick at me. I will take the advice from both of you and give it a try.
Cheers
Mickey;)

jammiey2k3
01-11-2008, 10:53 PM
the way i learnt was just playing along with songs i really liked, cos you know how they go in your head so it helps alot.

once you learnt in, play along with the song, once you got that down, remove the song, put a metronome in place and get used 2 that, once you can do tht, start with different songs.

When i learn songs, although i can read standard notation, i tend to use TAB but with the rhythm markings above them, or just put it into guitar pro (*VERY*good program, google it! worth every second of playing with it!).

it basically lets you put the rhythm n song and paly along, helped me alot with timing, specially on stuff like 6th triplets in semiquavers and weird stuff i'd never usually do.

really, its all about feel tho, once it gets inside you, you'll know how it works. =]