PDA

View Full Version : Relative Pitch

The Dude
05-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Hi, I can already transcribe things to an extent but I want to get alot better at it and as such I would appreciate a pointer in the right direciton. I want to develop a keen sense of relative pitch and it would be a great favour if anyone on these boards could begin by pointing me in the direction.

Just where to start with solfege and a few other ideas - software etc. But I'd really appreciate some information or pointers to information concerning solfege or just methods of developing relative pitch.

Another thing - and I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string - but I have set myself a goal - before I go back to Uni I want to have developed a highly accurate sense of relative pitch, Uni begins in September. I'm more than willing to put the work in if someone can point me in the right direction - but do you think my goal is achieveable ?

CaptainCaveman
05-01-2006, 07:10 AM
I have found that a great way to train your relative pitch is to improvise slowly on your instrument, and sing the notes you are playing. Try and start out with some simple scale patterns and gradually make it more complex by adding Arpeggios, chromatics, key changes etc. Just always keep it slow enough so that you can think of a note before you play it.

(This is not the same as Solfege, which is great for other things, but this can really help make your improvisations more musical)

EricV
05-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Picking out melodies and chord progressions of songs you listen to on a regular base will help a lot too. I have always done that a lot, and these days, when I listen to a song on the radio, I am often able to tell the chord progression by ear, even though I need a guitar in my hand later to figure out what key the song is in. Once I do know, I just move the chord progression that I heard into that key, and usually, I got it right, or at least came very close. And we´re talking about pop and rock stuff, not acid jazz =)
Not only does this help to improve the relative pitch in a rather practical way, it also is fun and you can work on your repertoire at the same time.
So in addition to other ear training-exercises, figuring out stuff by ear can be a great method of improving RP.
Eric

dusura
05-01-2006, 11:18 AM
I good thing to do it to try to subscribe without any instrument except you own voice. Listen to something and notate what you hear (just choose whatever key you like to notate it in). You need to be able to hear if a note is Re or Sol or whatever. When you start singing alot of solfege the notes start to whisper the solfege names to you. I know it sounds weird but it's true.

I also recommend the following:
- Guni's articles on this site
- http://www.pipersloft.com/html/eartrain.html
- Bruce Arnold's ear training material http://www.muse-eek.com

You could probably achieve alot between now and September but ear training is a on-going thing - sometime your progress will be fast, sometime slow - you just have to be patient and work for your breakthroughs.

Megus
05-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Hey, google "Solfege GNU".. it's a small developed freeware Solfege program which is very helpful.. it covers Scale/intervals/notes/chords/inversions identification.

Anyway, check it up and look for yourself, good luck and enjoy!

drum
05-01-2006, 06:03 PM
I've just downloaded the solfege GNU software and it looks really useful, I'll be singing in tune in no time! Great recomendation.;)

hitmewithastick
05-02-2006, 02:23 PM
earmaster is a sweet program, not freeware thought, but, you know, there are ways to get around those kinds of issues. ;)

Gstring
08-30-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm hell bend on improving my ear !!

I have the 5th interval covered and am now practicing the 4th to be followed by the Major 3rd.

I am thinking of buying David Burges RP CD's - any suggestions/feedback.

Also read Guni's Solfege articles so in conjunction with practicing intervals I should also practice patterns using Solfege.
PS I know that I know my 5ths. I think once you have an interval you know that you have it as you can easily sing/hear it and know for sure that it's that interval.