PDA

View Full Version : Promotion stuff

waylund
03-14-2003, 05:41 AM
I'm wondering what kind of quality bands want in their promotional packages. I have a small studio and am a graphic designer for primary income and thought it'd be cool to offer a package of recorded music, bios, photographs and maybe a web site all in a convenient little pack to give to people for like a grand. I'm not sure what the general opinion would be though. I know our band likes to be real professional about everything and would want very high-end stuff for a demo packet, but must of us work in the advertising field, so....

Anyway, any input anyone wants to give would be cool.

metaljustice83
03-14-2003, 05:55 AM
Well as far as your topic goes I wanna give that some thought before I reply, but as I see you are only on your 3rd post I would like to say welcome to ibreathe!! disclaimer (if I haven't already I'm a bit absent minded) I'm sure you'll find everything any anything you need here and may your games in dodge ball be longwinded! :confused: I don't know where that came from anyways welcome!! And I'll give your topic some thought and let you know, after I ask a couple people too!

EricV
03-14-2003, 01:53 PM
Things that worked in my opinion are:

- Good photos, maybe even in black and white, boh of the whole band and of the single members. Done by a pro. This will take some money, but youŽll have to invest that anyway.

- A good biography. Informative and honest, with enough self-confindence. It should be TOO self-confident though, if you know what I mean. Also include references, if available.

- Audiomateral... a demo or promo-CD ( not more than 15 min., not more than 3 songs, high volume level, strongest song should be the first track, no big instrumental breaks, unless those are the focus of the band, no ballads, unless those are the focus of the band )

- Sufficient contact information... phone numbers ( booking agency ?! ), email, website adress

- A website. Should fit to the style and image of the band, and should kinda fit to the artwork of the bandŽs products. I recommend to rent some FTP-space WITHOUT BANNERS AND ADS and a good URL.
I know that that again costs money, but if someone goes to your angelcity-webspace and is greeted by 15 Java-popups ( while being online with a slow connection ), the "experience of visiting your site" might not be THAT positive anymore

- Misc. stuff.. a sticker, or some postcard with the bandŽs pic. Dates of shows. Press-material.

Hope this helps
Eric

waylund
03-14-2003, 03:46 PM
To metaljustice83: Thanks for the welcome. This site is really nice. I'm impressed at the wealth of information.

EricV - I noticed that you had at the bottom of your list a sticker or postcard as misc. stuff. I also read on a list somewhere that it's good to put in a gimick (sticker, fold-out poster or other novelty item). Does this really make any difference or is the person you give it to just going to throw the novelty item in the trash?

EricV
03-14-2003, 05:02 PM
Well, it depends... if you have a chance to have someone make some stickers for you for cheap, IŽd recommend to do it.
MAYBE the person youŽd send the package to might throw the sticker away, but I think novelty items like that add a certain credibility... tough to explain, I mean, it o course is about the music, but some things simply help to make a good impression.

Also, stickers and lil posters are a good promo-tool anyway... give some to your friends, have them put them on their cars, bags, cases etc.
A simple sticker with the name of the band and maybe the web-adress would be enough.
Eric

MetalMessiah
03-14-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by EricV
Things that worked in my opinion are:

- Audiomateral... a demo or promo-CD ( not more than 15 min., not more than 3 songs, high volume level, strongest song should be the first track, no big instrumental breaks, unless those are the focus of the band, no ballads, unless those are the focus of the band )
This is the most important aspect to remember. Keep your music accessable. Most people will listen to just fifteen to thirty seconds (if you're lucky) of each song and if it doesn't grab them, you're toast. If you need to edit some of your songs specially for the demo, do it; Then you can play your songs the real way on stage. To the point of putting your best song first, great suggestion, you want to start on a good note (no pun intended).