PDA

View Full Version : Karaoke vocals pitches and keys

brent
05-24-2006, 05:27 AM
I'm trying to record Karaoke music for people but the vocalist are pitchy sharp or flat or off key what can i say to them or help GUIDE them better any hints please?

Or what to pratice to make them better at hitting the notes solid?

What does it mean when the vocalist is singing sharp or flat or out of key on some of the notes how can i correct this please with out software,plug ins how can i coach them better to hit the notes please any hints?

UKRuss
05-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Isn't the point of recording Karaoke music the fact that it doesn't have vocals?;)

Most people sing slightly out of tune. Most professional singers are fed through pitch correction facilities of one form or another nowadays.

The singer who hits all notes and sings everything perfectly is a rare bird nowadays.

If they're singing out of key well that's completely different, that simply means they can't sing but slightly sharp or flat is not so much of an issue.

But if they're amatuers then it is likely they will need electronic assistance in order to be "perfect".

Like everything else to become a very good singer a lot of practice is required. More time than you probably have to wait to be able to make your recording.

brent
05-24-2006, 08:11 AM
So singing it over and over and over the same song helps but what about getting the notes down solid how can i "guide" this better?

Any tips or tricks to help ear train guide the vocalists to be pitchy with sharp and flat?

What if the vocalist hits other notes like substiting them or borrowing other notes and not hitting the correct ones how can i correct this problem please?

UKRuss
05-24-2006, 08:58 AM
well, I think a good starting point would be to make them listen to the version of the song sung by the original artist and tell them that's the version you want them to sing, with those notes.

The best way is to have the song being played into one ear of their headphones while they sing their version as a guide. This helps to keep them on track.

I don't know what else to suggest, practice makes perfect. There's no substitute for that.

Zatz
05-24-2006, 09:07 AM
So what kind of correction do you need - real time or do you want the recorded voice processed?

In either case, if one sings completely out of tune (jingle bells over happy birthday to you) it's very hard to tweak the voice. The bigger the deviation from the right note the more unnatural the corrected vocals will sound - sometimes you can tell clearly the voice was heavily processed on some bad pop songs.

I've seen the vocal training software on net. You can try to google them up and choose what fits you better. Some karaoke systems tell you how many points you've hit out of 100 but the these embedded analysers are too dumb and are easy to fool. I knew a girl who would score 100 on many songs but noone could survive her singing and would urgently rush out to have cig or two. You could yell hard into the mic, accentuating every note, slurring your voice here and there over wide freq range to occasionally hit the target and there you were getting 90 and the neighbours knocking on your door. With karaoke you should forget about gentle singing/shifting octaves/singing in 5th or 3rd. The human voice has a lot of harmonics so the signal processing is a pretty hard task.

dusura
05-25-2006, 12:03 AM
well, I think a good starting point would be to make them listen to the version of the song sung by the original artist and tell them that's the version you want them to sing, with those notes.

Make them listen to a recording of themselves singing the song. If they think it sounds just fine you might need a new singer.

hairballxavier
06-19-2006, 03:05 PM
I'd say let them sing it any way they want to.