PDA

View Full Version : There might be hope for me yet

PeaceDawg
03-18-2003, 03:32 AM
Hi everyone...I have been playing guitar for about 16 years and I would have to say that my knowledge of music theory is quite limited. This is not for a lack of wanting to learn it but to be honest with you I find it quite frustrating. It just seems very overwhelming and mindboggling....hard to comprehend. I know that if I was to learn theory it would be a tremendous benefit and this is what has kept me interested.

After browsing this forum for about 10 minutes I feel as though I could learn alot here. Finally I have hope.
Cheers

metaljustice83
03-18-2003, 04:01 AM
you definatly can find an answer here or be pointed in the right direction. Welcome, ask away and someone will be more than happy to help you here if you can't seem to find it in your search, or better explain it, because you are not the only one (myself being included) that needs help in the theory department. Again, welcome!!!

Michel
03-18-2003, 11:44 AM
Hello.

music theory can be confusing if not learned in order
i have study whit so many theory books and not going through
the the books in order to save time got me confused so??
Now i have to go back

You want to learn Music theory? OK Have patience and dont skip
anything
good luck

:) Michel

The Mechanix
03-18-2003, 10:43 PM
Welcome to the fun mate,

I once read somewhere that if you know your alphabet from A-G, and can count from 1 to 13, you have all the intelligence needed to understand music theory.

It's just a matter of having it explained well. There are some really top guys who hang out here and are very helpful in all aspects, from theory to technique to gear. I've learned alot from just "jumping in for the ride" on other peoples questions. Also, don't forget to use the search function because there has been some very informative discussions so far.

Don't worry if you feel your question is too simple or whatever, just ask away.

Good luck

Peace Out

Mechanix

btw, is that you in the photo??? I think you may need to eat a little more:D

szulc
03-18-2003, 11:50 PM
Music theory is like mathematics in that you can learn most of what there is to know in a short time, and the last 5% will take you the rest of your life. The basics are easy, western classical music theory. It gets tough when you try to throw in the more modern concepts jazz, tone rows etc....

For what most people want, the majority can be learned in a year or so.