PDA

View Full Version : Tapping help!

Supernaut
06-17-2006, 04:36 PM
As you might be able to tell from my speed topic, I am a bit of a billy Sheehan fan too! So my next question is: how do you tap properly?

I've read a few methids on how, but it's so quiet! I can't any real sound out of it. Can anyone help?

Cheers!

Kinoble
06-18-2006, 04:51 PM
hi supernaut,

I use tapping fairly regurlaly and was in your position not so long ago. The key to tapping i find is having the finger strengt to hammer on the first notes of the tapping part. For example, if you are tapping an Amin triad, you have to really practise hammering on the first two notes A and the C to get the loudness for the tap on the E note to work. Im a guitarist but learnt this approach from a bassist, so it applies here.

You have to hammer on the fifth fret of the E string (for this example) with the first finger, keep the first finger on the fith fret and hammer onto the 8 fret with the last finger, and then tap the 12fret with whatever finger you like (depending on whether you play with a pick or fingers.)

The key is getting the strenght to hammer on from 'no-where'. Once you get it, yuo'll be fine.

Hope this helps,

Ben :cool:

Supernaut
06-18-2006, 04:57 PM
interesting way of doing it. I always do it as pressing downa nd pulling off the E note to create the A note, then use a free finger to hammer on C...like that heh

I'll have a go this method though! cheers!

Kinoble
06-18-2006, 05:33 PM
yea, its not a usual 'tapping' techmique, as its ascending up- in my example A to C to E. The other way is descneding like you mentioned. Again you have to really make sure you conenct with the fret, if we take the Amin traid and approach it 'top-down' (E to C to A) then you have to make sure you tap reasonably hard on the 12 fret so there is enough volume to pull-off on the C and A.

Supernaut
06-18-2006, 05:36 PM
But yea with that method it's hard to get any volume on the high frets. Which is what I have a problem with hehe. I use the Billy method of middle finger on top of the index finger and that helps a lot but still not enough volume!

Kinoble
06-18-2006, 05:41 PM
What lick are you trying to play in particular?

Also how high is the action on your guitar? This has alot to do with volume and speed-thjats why shredders have such a low action.

Supernaut
06-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Well I just tried doing a 19p17h8

And action...havent a clue :D

Kinoble
06-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Ok. The action of the guitar is how close the strings are to the frets. Turn you guitar on its side so you are looking at it horizontally, and you will se how low down the strings are to the frets-the lower the better (usually).

If your action is high this will create real problems when tapping-unwanted noise, lack of volume etc. You technique may be good, but if your guitar aint setup properly it will not pay off!

If your action is high, try to get it as low as possible by lowering the bridge with a screwdriver, evenly on both sides. BUT do not lower it too much as this can give you unwanted fret buzz when fretting the string (the action is too low.)

Heres a pic of what action is-http://www.jetslide.com/images/edgeview.jpg

Supernaut
06-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Yea that looks pretty good. Mine's about that. In fact it's kinda low because if I neck bend too much it buzzes :D

curiousgeorge
06-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Why not check out Eric's Tapping Part 1 article?...You can see it right on the main page when you navigate to the site...it covers all the basics and more...