PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with tuplets

Finsta
07-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Hello all,
I have barely any sense of rhythm but I have a question. How do you count tuplets and those quirky notes in a way that works. It doesn't make much sense to me. Help!?! :p

Poparad
07-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Twos and threes are fairly easy since they're so common in music. I assume you are having more difficulty with 5s, 6s, 7s, etc. Any larger group and always be broken down into 2s and 3s. For example, you can take a pentuplets (fives) and break it down in your head into 2 and 3, or 3 and 2, and count/feel it accordingly. With larger groupings (10's, etc) you can lump certain things together, like a few 2s into groups of 4s, etc.

Dommy
07-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Rhythm walk slowly and subdivide accordingly. Feel ONE with each leg. Then feel One two. then one two three. one two three four. etc...

Finsta
07-05-2006, 12:42 AM
Twos and threes are fairly easy since they're so common in music. I assume you are having more difficulty with 5s, 6s, 7s, etc. Any larger group and always be broken down into 2s and 3s. For example, you can take a pentuplets (fives) and break it down in your head into 2 and 3, or 3 and 2, and count/feel it accordingly. With larger groupings (10's, etc) you can lump certain things together, like a few 2s into groups of 4s, etc.

I don't think I quite understand

Poparad
07-05-2006, 12:44 AM
I don't think I quite understand

What exactly are you asking about?

Dommy
07-05-2006, 02:45 AM
what kind of tuplets do you want to count? after a while you just learn to feel it.

Finsta
07-05-2006, 02:50 AM
what kind of tuplets do you want to count? after a while you just learn to feel it.

Well, more than anything else is that. Like how would I be able to play them smoothly with metronome use. I'm sorry for being vague.

Dommy
07-05-2006, 04:22 AM
set your metronome to around 45-50. just listen to the pulse click back and forth.

Now, on each pulse, perform a downstroke. At this tempo it may be harder than you think it is, so if you are having trouble, raise the tempo, but note that at faster tempos higher subdivisions will be harder to count, thats why I said to set it at 45-50.

If you are anything like me, you'll feel like you cant get a grip quite yet on the ONE, it feels like time is slowing down and speeding up. Eventually you just have to feel this downbeat internally no matter what the tempo. At this point, you start to subdivide.

Continue with the metronome running. Now count 1 2 in the space of one metronome click. Now you are duple meter. If you think of the ONE ONE ONE ONE as a quarter note, you are now playing straight eighth notes. ONE AND ONE AND ONE AND or ONE TWO ONE TWO ONE TWO.... Now count One and a One and a, now you're doing triplets. Now, one e and a or one two three four for sixteenth notes. For quintuplets (5), I started out counting these just by saying 1 2 3 4 5 slightly faster than I would have counted 1 2 3 4 in the sixteenth notes, until I started to lock into the groove. You have to feel the 1 as a one. Sextuplets is just like triplets, but doubletime. Just feel one and a two and a or 1 2 3 4 5 6. I hope you can see the pattern here.

Oh, and btw, for odd grouped tuplets, the downbeat will alternate between an upstroke and a downstroke. Namely for groups of 3, 5, 7, and 9.

Finsta
07-07-2006, 05:24 AM
Well, it's official. My rhythm plainly sucks: I can't get even spacing between notes

Dommy
07-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Well, you need to do one of two things. Get in touch with your inner rhythm, and start walking with a groove. And keep on working with the metronome, if you give up now you'll never get it.