PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a soundclip??

PeaceDawg
03-24-2003, 02:00 AM
I have started practicing the infamous Paul Gilbert alternate picking lick (the one that is tabbed in EricV's postings). I have been playing with a metronome and I am not really having much difficulty with the alternate picking sequence but I don't really have the lick at any substantial speed yet. I am sure there are lot's of guys in here that can play this lick at fast speeds and I am curious to hear what it should sound like so that I will know where I have to take this lick. If anyone feels like recording themselves playing this lick at different speeds.. i.e slow, medium, fast, fastest...and then posting a link or emailing me I would appreciate it. It would be cool to have something to compare to.

Bizarro
03-26-2003, 04:31 AM
Well, I tried recording direct with a Cyber Deluxe and I'm getting some weird noises in there! I looped this clip 2x to emphasize the "strobing" noises.

This was direct out from the Cyber -> mixer -> SB Live. It might be due to the low volume on the Cyber Deluxe (my daughter is sleeping...) which might result in a low signal to the mixer...

Anyways, I'll try get that figured out sometime and get a better post. My home recordings are still very noisy and it's starting to get frustrating...
:confused:

wrt to this amp, I'm just borrowing the Cyber Deluxe from a bandmate so I don't really have everything figured out yet. It is a very cool amp and it sounded great at our gig last Friday. It kept up with my HRD 4x10 very nicely in a small club.

PeaceDawg
03-26-2003, 10:01 AM
Wow thanks Bizarro.. That sounds awesome. You know in my head I didn't picture it sounding that way but it really does sound awesome. Now I know where I have to take this lick but I think it will take a long long time to get it as fast as you are playing it. Thanks again.

EricV
03-26-2003, 11:19 AM
Yeah, Bizarro has it up to a good tempo, and it sounds really good. Accuracy is really good, too... great job, dude !

PeaceDawg, if you have a chance, pick up the first Paul Gilbert-video ( "Intense Rock" ), thatīs where he demonstrates that lick and how to practise it... plus he plays it at light-speed, too.
Really impressive.
Eric

Bizarro
03-27-2003, 04:01 AM
Eric and PeaceDawg, thanks for the kind words.

I consider myself a "reformed shredder" because I tend to abuse technique if I don't keep a close watch on my hands!;)

I figured out the problem with the recording. The simulated speaker output of the Cyber Deluxe tracks the volume knob, so you have to turn it up just a smidge to get a nice clean signal. Unfortunately I probably won't get to play guitar again until this weekend...

Simon3
04-22-2003, 10:43 PM
What song is the lick from?

EricV
04-23-2003, 02:03 AM
Simon,

you mean what song the PG -Lick is from ?
Well, Paul used that lick many times throughout his career ( i.e. in "Frenzy", on the low strings ), but itīs mainly a great picking- and synchronisation-exercise.
He explains it in the "Intense Rock"-video...
Eric