PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a good song to perform in music class

mattie
03-25-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi everybody,

I have to play a song in my music class next week, but I don't know which one would be good.
I consider myself a beginner since I've been playing for a year now.
I found the tabs for Paul Gilbert's Song "I'm just in love" and I think this would be alright, since the solo isn't that difficult. But the problem is that I've never heard the original song and tabs on the internet are not always right.
Is there anybody who could help me or suggest another song? :confused:

Thanks.

c ya
MAttie

metaljustice83
03-25-2003, 08:46 PM
anything classical is always good. www.wholenote.com has some classical tabs with sound examples and If I'm not mistaken Ibreathemusic has some also but you'll have to search for those

EricV
03-26-2003, 03:37 PM
Hmmm... I think if you wanna play an easy song, and play it with conviction and self-confidence, you should look for a song you know well, or can listen to, and then look for a TAB.
I mean, if you have never heard the PG-song, ( Its cool, IMHO ), how do you know youll like it ?
Id recommend to take a song like... I dunno, "To Be With You" ( ok, that one is hard to sing, but I guess you get the idea )... its a good song, kinda popular, and one can perform it with one guitar and a voice.
Are you gonna play it on acoustic guitar, or on electric ? With a band or a sequencer or on your own ? Those are factors you might wanna consider.
I i.e. have a little "side-project" with a singer... we take songs we like and re-arrange them for one guitar and a voice, and perform them acoustically. Some of the songs we play:
- With Arms Wide Open - Creed
- Through Her Eyes - Dream Theater
- Let Her Cry - Hootie
- Cover My Eyes - Marillion

stuff like that...
Eric

mattie
03-26-2003, 04:59 PM
I know what you mean.
I just kinda "accidentally" found the tab for "I'm just in love" and I like it.
But in the meantime I decided to play "When sorrow sang" from Blind Guardian. It's a great song, too.
Yes, I'll play it on an electric guitar, but I won't sing to it, because it's (still) far to difficult for me both to play and sing. But this song sounds good without vocals, too.

Thanx anyway. ;)

Mattie

TheJeffinator
11-22-2004, 09:19 PM
I'd learn some Led Zeppelin, everyone knows Ten Years Gone, and it was one of the first songs I learned the whole way through - which, by the way, I did on an acoustic with rusty .12 gauge strings about a week and a half after I picked the guitar up first. It sounds good and it's easy, considering you have fingers and...well, mainly just that you have fingers. I also learned Drown by the Smashing Pumpkins around that time, and shortly after I picked up a guitar arrangement for Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (the piano intro), and it's both easy and great sounding.

Rock On,
The Jeffinator

outtathaway
11-22-2004, 11:54 PM
My music teacher always gives me top marks for playing songs by Bach. Try a song called Minuet In A Minor, its a pretty cool tune and its fairly easy. You can get it from www.powertabs.net if you have Power Tab Editor.

Sir Speedy
11-23-2004, 03:06 AM
Green Sleeves , is a good easy Celtic/ Irish Classical piece , i would suggest.
How 'Bout Jimmy Pages "Black Mountain Side" , in DADGAD tuning ?
________
PORTABLE VAPORIZOR REVIEWS (http://www.vaporizers.net/)

Schmaus
11-26-2004, 02:42 AM
are you going to film your performance? now you got us all anxious. :D

curiousgeorge
11-26-2004, 03:00 AM
Twisted Sister-I Wanna Rock......because it rocks!

Gunnan
11-30-2004, 08:48 PM
If you can sing
Mellisa or Come and Go blues by the allman brothers
Angel ( acoustic version ) Jimi Hendrix
House of the rising sun - CCR
If you cant sing
Santeria - Sublime is fun a song
Over the hills and far away - led zepplin is catchy and easy enough to play when just starting out because of the pull offs.
Crossroads by Eric Clapton is realy fun to play
Blues for Basie by Joe Pass has been fairly difficult for me but very fun to play and people generaly ask about it or like it when they hear it. I have only been playing for around 3 years so it might be easier for you if you have been playing longer and can read rhythmic notation better.