PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Color?

Bongo Boy
03-26-2003, 04:43 AM
I'm just wondering, 'cause curious minds want to know.

Bizarro
03-26-2003, 05:52 AM
Living color!

Seriously, I'm partial to 3-color sunburst.

And if you rule that out because it has 3 colors, then I'd have to pick "sky blue" at about 9pm on a cloudless night in mid-September out in the boonies in North Dakota! It's quite amazing and it makes me want to move back sometimes. But then I come to my senses.;)

Zatz
03-26-2003, 01:47 PM
Hi Bongo Boy,

When I saw the thread title I thought you meant chord colors and was ready to discuss dominant chord embellishments :)

Sky-blue is my favourite too. Plus violet and grass-green.

By the way, have we ever discussed correspondence of colors and sound on this forum? Their emotional affinity, resemblance?

Ultra mega best regards,
Zatz.

PeaceDawg
03-26-2003, 11:50 PM
I like the colour green.

MetallicTheatre
04-11-2003, 03:41 PM
I gotta go with blue, not sky blue but that deep ocean colour. But on guitars i like black.

Aaron

sliptallica
04-12-2003, 03:15 PM
I'm with MetallicTheatre, Blue is awsome, the royal blue, navy blue, dark blues...awsome stuff. But guitars have to go black, well I've seen some other awsome colors on guitars, but i prefer black. I like the sunburst look, but I'd never buy myself one, but cool for other people. Ibanez has some awsome colors too.

Wyll_Watts
04-17-2003, 06:11 PM
umm umm ummm

..see-through purple (on mahogany)...

..or.. C7sus4(#11)

Wyll

Zatz
04-17-2003, 06:36 PM
Wyll,

what voicing do you use for C7sus4(#11)? What I wonder is how do you deal with sus4 against #11 clash or is it all about this dissonance that makes up the color you like in this chord?

The reason why I'm asking is I like to dwell on phonic properties of the chords which go even out of progression context. The various kind of them are all unique and worth discussing. Of course the perception of sound mostly depends on individual taste. Still sharing the feel about this or that particular chord form makes the one to deeper understand music and be ruled rather by musical idea not just schemes and patterns.

We once had an interesting thread on this topic. Here it is:

Chord flavours thread (http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80)

Ultra mega best regards,
Zatz.

Wyll_Watts
04-17-2003, 08:57 PM
Hey there Zatz...

yeah, that chord is supposed to have that dissonance in there between the 4th and the #11. I don't use it that often but it has a nice grindy sound that just jumps out.. Sometimes I use it in place of the I chord to basically shift the song somewhere completely different for a bar and leave the listener hanging for a second..
The voicing I use most often is x3337x , which does not have the 5th.. you can add it on top as a 12, like x33373 but that adds a little more clash than I'm looking for here... I would typically use a C7sus4(#11) as such..
all drop 2 voicings on middle four strings..
|D7sus4 Bbmaj7b5| C7sus4 A7sus4| D9 Db9| E7sus4 F7 | C7sus4(#11) | C6 |

and yes.. that progession is supposed to sound really messed up.. lol

Wyll

Michel
04-17-2003, 09:53 PM
Bonjour

Blue .........Minor 9

B'Bye

Michel;)

Zatz
04-18-2003, 06:45 PM
Wyll,

great progression! Nothing is really messed here (except for the 4/#4 :) ). I like this transition:

|D7sus4 Bbmaj7b5| C7sus4...

Smooth voicing using substitution. Fits for acoustic perfectly!

Zatz.

Wyll_Watts
04-18-2003, 08:15 PM
those first three chords I ripped off from one of the early example in Bret Willmott's Complete Book of Harmony Theory and Voicing a few years ago. They just has such a smooth sound, and I just kind of built up the progression from there.. I love that book. I got it back in the early 90s and had a period where I referred to it like a bible..

Wyll

Bongo Boy
04-20-2003, 06:34 AM
Just when I was trying to start a trivial, pathetically vapid thread with a cynical twist, you jerks start giving it actual meaning. Can a guy get a break here? :D

The Bash
04-20-2003, 06:50 AM
I prefer a light spectrum void of visible wavelengths.

EricV
04-20-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Bongo Boy
Just when I was trying to start a trivial, pathetically vapid thread with a cynical twist, you jerks start giving it actual meaning. Can a guy get a break here? :D
All I can say is "HA ! COULD HAVE TOLD YA SO !"
Itīs the mighty Ibreathe-forums, we can put sense into pretty much EVERYTHING :)
But seriously, I was surprised too when the chord-thing started...
Eric