PDA

View Full Version : String bending

Playmystrat
03-26-2003, 09:38 AM
I'm having a hard time minimizing extra noise when I do string bends in specific areas on the neck...When I bend in certain spots on the 1st or 2nd string, my fingers make the 3rd or 4th string ring after I come back down from the bend, and it's really annoying. If I do the bend slowly, then there is no noise, but as soon as I speed it up, RIIIINNG!! Is there something I could do technique wise to reduce this? The action on my guitar is on the lower end too, does that have anything to do with it? Thanks.

EricV
03-26-2003, 12:17 PM
Use the "tunnel". That mean,s use the r.h. ( pick hand ) fingers youīre not using to mute the adjacent strings.
If you i.e. hold yer pick with the thumb and index finger, and you wanna bend a note on the B-string, mute the lower strings with a part of your right hand ( i.e. the lower part of the thumb, the area between thumb and wrist ), and put one or several fingers ( ring finger, pinkie... ) on the high E-string to keep it from ringing.
Another thing you can do is: pick the B-string, and then immediately rest the pick on the G-string to mute that one, while muting the high E-string with the ring finger or pinkie.
Thatīs just a short introduction, thereīs way more to that topic, but I hope it helps already.
Eric

EricV
03-26-2003, 03:01 PM
To elaborate a bit more on your problem... especially if you use a lot of gain, you get noise when bending strings... when you i.e. bend the B-string, the tip of one ( or several ) of your fingers will touch the G-string, push it, and once you release the bend, you might accidentially create some kind of a small pull-off on the G-string, making it ring.
Therefore, muting it with another finger or part of your hand is a good solution.
Believe me, thereīs a lot of things to consider, lots of little things to work on when it comes to muting... at one time, I was at a point where I noticed how MUCH noise I had going on when I was playing, so I had to sit down, take a few steps back and work on "simple" stuff again ( like bending etc, ), kinda relearning that stuff, this time focussing on keeping it quiet, avoiding unwanted noises.
It sometimes suck, but you have to pay as much attention to what you DONīT play as you have to what you DO play.
Same thing goes for rhythm guitar, especially metal rhythm guitar. I remember when Pantera hit the scene, when everyone was bragging about "Vulgar Display Of Power". Diamond Darrell uses a lot of rests, riffs where he plays a powerchord, then thereīs complete silence, and then thereīs the next chord. That way, you can get a lot of power.
But it requires a really good muting technique to really have SILENCE between the chords ( a noise gate might be helpful, too, but most of the work has to be done by the hands )
So, use all the fingers and parts of both your hands to both play the notes you wanna play and to avoid the noises you donīt want...
( I really need a digicam soon, it would really be helpful cuz Iīd provide some close-up pics of my hands to show what I mean )
Eric

EricV
03-26-2003, 03:05 PM
I found something... my friend Abi once wrote about this ( muting, silence ), and the article had some photos. He once send me those, and one of them is attached to this post.
It shows the "tunnel". He is muting the high e-string and the g-string, while picking the b-string... after the b-string was picked, the pick is resting on the G-string, as seen in this pic...
Hope this helps
Eric

Playmystrat
03-27-2003, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Eric. I've never heard of the tunneling thing before, but it makes complete sense. Something else that I get to work on technique wise when practicing :rolleyes: Thanks again, I really appreciate the effort you put into posting the replies :D

EricV
03-27-2003, 11:16 PM
Good, I am glad I was able to help.

One more thing Iīd like to add is:
Keep in mind that the "tunnel" usually should be used with slower melodies etc. Itīs almost impossible to keep it up when playing high speed-licks, and itīs pretty much the opposite of the "floating hand".
The player should be able to adjust his technique to what he is playing... when playing slow stuff, esp. with high gain, the "tunnel" is a good idea, while, when you play fast, it doesnīt work very well.
So, neither the "floating hand" nor the "tunnel" are "works for very lick"-kinda solutions. You should be able to use both, to adjust your playing to WHAT you play
Enough rambling from my side now :)
Eric