PDA

View Full Version : Notation

wiechfreak
08-08-2006, 02:43 AM
In order to become efficient in notating my own compositions, as well as transcribing others, should I first master READING notation? I can read music at about an intermediate level, I can sight read at an intermediate level also, but nothing TOO advanced....

Thanks in advance

Poparad
08-08-2006, 07:41 AM
They help each other. Writting music aids my reading, and reading music aids my writting.

Malcolm
08-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Here is my take on this. I read standard notation, however, not fast enough to really play a new piece using it, however. I can function using standard notation.

Now as to composing, composing is the problem, not necessarly taking the notes to paper. The lyrics and progressions come, but an original melody does not freely flow from my mind.

Original melodic phrases is what I need to work on.

joeyd929
08-09-2006, 02:09 PM
In order to become efficient in notating my own compositions, as well as transcribing others, should I first master READING notation? I can read music at about an intermediate level, I can sight read at an intermediate level also, but nothing TOO advanced....

Thanks in advance

Music notation and playing is similar to singing and playing at the same time. You can be good at each skill individually but doing the two together can slow you down when you are new to it. The only real way to get good at it is to "slow down" until you can do it faster.. My advice is to practice reading and playing the instrument.

I play guitar and piano mostly by ear and did so for years. After all this time I decided to try and teach myself to read music on the piano. Man, did it slow me down. However, with time and practice it has improved.

As Poparad said, each skill helps the other. One thing you can do when you don't have an instrument is to literally "read" the notes and say the name out loud and also try saying it to yourself.

Another thing to do is write out intervals in EVERY key and then simply play through them on your instrument. I did this with the piano. I wrote out Major seconds, thirds, fourths, and so on. Did two note intervals in every key and it took forever to write but it helped me out when I started practicing.

Another thing to do is take all the chords you know and try to write them on staff paper for whatever instrument you are playing. I discovered that notating stuff that I write helps my hand/eye/keyboard/guitar association.

Good luck.