PDA

View Full Version : Readability of notation - Question

leppard81
09-16-2006, 10:24 AM
I need a quick reminder:

What is the correct order to place notes/rests in a bar when writing them down on staff paper?

For example if a 4/4 bar conistst of an 8th note, an 8th pause, a quarter note rest and a half note rest. The order I wrote here, would be the one IŽd use on the staff paper, but does the order always go smallest to bigger/biggest entity? I think so, since its more readable than switching the quarter and half rests around, for example.

thanx
ALEX :-)

Poparad
09-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Usually you want to write it so you can see the division of the measure clearly. The eight note rest will come first because that completes beat one, and whatever comes next and clearly be seen as being beat on two.

As for what's next, there's an general rule that you don't want rhythms to cover up the middle of the measure. In other words, if you put the half note rest next, it would cover the 2nd and 3rd beats, obscuring the middle of the measure. It's more preferable to use the quarter note rest first to fill out the first half of the measure, and then use the half note rest second to fill out the second half of the measure. This is just a guideline, as there are a few rhythms I can think of that break this rule, but there are plenty that adhere to this.

leppard81
09-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks alot, that made it clear!

ALEX :-)