PDA

View Full Version : metronome question

abarone
04-03-2003, 03:36 PM
I have a question about how most people use metronomes...Is each tick considered a quarter note or is there one tick per measure? How do you guys use it? Thanks!

WaterGuy
04-03-2003, 06:59 PM
The simple answer to your question is "yes."

There are any number of ways to use a metronome, but the way I most commonly use it is for one beat per click... so if you're in 4/4 time that would be one tick per quarter note.

Check out Guni's article on rhythm... it's pretty cool.

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/learn/article/32

sliptallica
04-03-2003, 08:19 PM
Like Waterguy said, each tick of a metronome is usually considered a quarter note, you can always change that in theory like say you have it set at 120bmp, then you could consider each tick to be a quarter note so there's 120 notes per minute, or each two ticks be a quarter note so each tick would be an eighth note so there would be 60 beats in a minute. Now I don't think anyone would do this, but the other end of the spectrum, you could consider each tick to be a half note or whole note so as then there would be 240 beats in a minute and 480 beats in a minute respectively. As to how many notes in a measure, thats totally different, half of it depends on if you're in 2/2 time, 3/4, 4/4, 16/4 or whatever time signature you're in, and then the other half is what kind of note is it, not the frequency of the note(whether it's a low e or high d), but rather if the note is a whole, half, quarter, eighth, sixteenth, ect. I don't know if that was too technical, but if it was, just post another reply under this and I'll answer whatever question. I may only be an intermediate guitar player, but theory wise, I'm very knowledgeable.

abarone
04-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Thanks for both of your replies...that article helped a lot too. Now all I need to do is practice.:cool: