PDA

View Full Version : What If....

DemonFire
04-05-2003, 03:44 AM
What If I can't play right now because I sort of hacked my hands to bloody pieces playing...Now I can't play...
Ive been playing the guitar only a short time and a couple of days ago I had to do a test and I played so hard I tore my hand apart, now im all bloody and can't play...

What should I do so that I CAN Play? Soon!?

The Bash
04-05-2003, 12:53 PM
prac. playing in your head.
there's tons of stuff one can learn without the inst.
in fact it's a very good way to mem. scales/licks/tunes etc.
you should be able to see clealy in your head everything you play
some of the most important things of all don't require actually touching the instrument at all like ear traing for example.

sliptallica
04-09-2003, 03:56 PM
I'm a weird one, not morbid or gothic anything, merely ex-football got musically and computer nerd, but what I'm getting at, I like pain. Now you may not, but if you can alt least tolerate it, put a bandaid on your fingers and play away, it will sound like crap but you're still playing and practicing. Back when I first started, I would get blisters and cuts all the time so I purposely played hard with very heavy guage strings to build that extra layer on your fingers, plus starting out playing heavy guage strings will enable you to blow through bends and other stuff later on when you go to a lighter guage string. If you're not one for pain, you probably won't want to take my advice but it helped me.

On more the medical side of things, Neosporin works wonders.

Wyll_Watts
04-09-2003, 06:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your injuries there man!

I'm just curious as to exactly what sort of injuries you sustained from playing so hard? As in, did you just play so long as to rub the tips of you fingers raw or is your right hand making some sort of contact with the strings that caused blistering or cuts? I'm asking because you may want to adjust your technique or approach to prevent similar or even more serious injuries in the future. On the practical side of things, there is a clear liquid bandage out there now that could help with the current situation. It is basically a form of medical glue and doesn't really get in the way as much as a traditional bandage.

Best Wishes,
Wyll Watts

Schooligo
04-14-2003, 09:04 AM
A couple of observations:

I think pain is something that should be considered and almost always respected!!

While it is necessary to build the strength of the skin on the fingers & each individual fingertip(a callus) this should be accomplished moderately!

And Moderation should be applied to any activity that is physical &/or could cause pain.
since playing a musical instrument is physical, just as a runner needs to stretch & warmup prior to running, so should a musician.

Activities of daily living may also affect strength of your skin & nails.

few things to consider
Proper Nutrition,
adequate amount of sleep
Use of fingernail clippers as opposed to a nail file
even humidity
(which reminds me of something) :D

Even though each individual is different & I haven't really seen alot of literature on this topic,
I personally have noticed that after I have taken a shower the skin on my hands is more fragile for a period of time after I shower,
ie. if I play guitar immediately after a shower the skin on my fingers will in various degrees peel & is more tender.
(some of my musician friends have stated they also experience this)

just F.Y.I. that I've found to be helpful

EricV
04-14-2003, 11:09 AM
Hi there,

Schooligo, I disagree only on one thing in your post...
I recommend to use a nail file instead of a clipper or scissors.
When you cut or clip your nails, it can cause little cracks ( of microscopic size ) to appear, which will increase the risk of breaking or ripping a nail.
So I always use a file, no clipper or scissor
Eric

Schooligo
04-15-2003, 01:06 AM
I wrote,

"Activities of daily living may also affect strength of your skin & nails.

ie. Use of fingernail clippers as opposed to a nail file"

I don't think we disagree Eric, :)

"I recommend to use a nail file instead of a clipper or scissors.
When you cut or clip your nails, it can cause little cracks ( of microscopic size ) to appear, which will increase the risk of breaking or ripping a nail.
So I always use a file, no clipper or scissor"

That was my point!

EricV
04-15-2003, 01:42 AM
Oops, dang it, I misunderstood you then, sorry.
Things like that happen if you´re too tired and don´t put enough attention into reading all those posts.
So... we agree
Warm regards
Eric