PDA

View Full Version : Milestone

Danster
04-06-2003, 02:06 PM
Hey guys,
So I've transcribed some songs before, or more often just licks from some songs. Mostly my technique for transcribing is like, to stick my fingers in a certain place, and see if that's the right note(s), and if not, go fishing until I hit the right notes. Well yesterday, I was transcribing a lick (is it still transcribing if you don't write it down :) ), and while trying to figure out one part of the lick, I thought, "That interval sounds like a major third." Well, I went up four half steps, and voila, I HAD heard the correct interval... it WAS a major third! Woohoo... that ear training is starting to pay dividends! Watch out world!:D :D Just hadda share.

EricV
04-06-2003, 03:27 PM
Thatīs very cool, congrats... if you keep working on it, and transcribing more stuff, itīll only get easier !
Despite the time at the GIT, I never really did explicit ear-training. Not like "OK, now here I am, I am gonna have someone play random notes on a piano and try to figure them out".
Instead, I transcribed lotsa stuff, and it helped. At first it was a really slow process ( it got easier once I knew about keys, how to figure out which chords are in a major key etc. ), later I was able to figure out intervals instantly.
Yesterday, I had a friend over and we listened to a CD he had brought. I had a guitar in my hand, listened to the tune. Then, I turned up the guitar and simply played a D... and it was the exact right note. The song was in D Major, and the chord that came up when I played that D was the I.
I also sometimes, just for fun, played along to songs, trying to play along to the vocal melodies ( when I knew the song already ).
Eric

Danster
04-06-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by EricV
Thatīs very cool, congrats... if you keep working on it, and transcribing more stuff, itīll only get easier !I've seen progress from when I first started trying to transcribe, even though transcription is not really a part of my standard routine. I really just transcribe something when I hear a cool lick or riff, and wanna play it.

Despite the time at the GIT, I never really did explicit ear-training. Not like "OK, now here I am, I am gonna have someone play random notes on a piano and try to figure them out".I've been using a great ear trainer found at musictheory.net. (they also have some other great learning tools there). I do the ear training to help in my transcriptions. When a song has a chord that is not a major chord, I usually don't have a clue what it is. I'm starting with intervals to try to train my ear some, and then I'll move on to chords. That site has ear trainers for both.
Cheers,
Dan

Bizarro
04-07-2003, 01:46 AM
awesome! it's a good feeling when you start reaping the rewards of hard work and dedication.

congratulations!:D

after awhile your hands will just naturally go to the note you're trying to figure out, without even thinking about it!