PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here use teoria the eartraining website ?

Gstring
10-31-2006, 09:30 AM
If so what are you using it for and how often do you use it ?

Also do you have any comments on it ?

I use this site daily for P5, P4 and M3 melodic intervals both ascending and descending.

The only complaint that I have is that it only plays intervals at one speed.

I use this site in conjunction with the Burge RP course.

( Just a note to say that I am not associated with the site what so ever but I find it a fun way of testing my ears ).

joeyd929
10-31-2006, 03:06 PM
If so what are you using it for and how often do you use it ?

Also do you have any comments on it ?

I use this site daily for P5, P4 and M3 melodic intervals both ascending and descending.

The only complaint that I have is that it only plays intervals at one speed.

I use this site in conjunction with the Burge RP course.

( Just a note to say that I am not associated with the site what so ever but I find it a fun way of testing my ears ).

I use Teoria.com for many aspects of music theory training. Ear training for things like secondary dominants. Note recognition and also practice with writing out chords/scales.

It covers quite a range of theory related topics. Mainly when I discovered this site I was looking for ear training for intervals. YOu can even do inverted intervals.

I actually got a membership and downloaded it so I can use it off line.

Gstring
11-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Hi Joeyd,

Sounds like you have a pretty advanced ear.

Do you have fully developed Relative Pitch ? and/or do you have Perfect Pitch ?

Have you used the David Burge ear training CD's at all ? If so what are your thoughts on them ?

Sorry for the 100 questions but I am determined to open up my ear.

I seem to be stuck on the lightening rounds in Burges Relative Pitch course.

The intervals played slowly are fine but at lightening speed it becomes more difficult.

Anyhow I did my ear training this morning but will do 10 mins this afternoon. :)

joeyd929
11-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi. The key to learning intervals and recognizing them needs to be done slowly. I do understand what you mean though, because when you hear the intervals fast it can sound "different"

I would suggest that you use your guitar and try taking the intervals from the teoria site and play them together.

Intervals can seem to sound different when played together, rather than as consecutive notes. Take you guitar/piano, or whatever, and play the two notes of the interval together. Then YOU can control the speed.

Teoria is great but you can use your guitar to increase or decrease the speed of the notes. Very important to play both notes together and really listen to the sounds and train your mind as to the name of the interval.

I have always had a good ear but I waited too long to learn all this stuff but I'm glad I did finally learn it..

Do you study chord theory at all?

PetrucciWylde
01-26-2007, 02:04 PM
http://www.good-ear.com is amazing i think you can change tempo on that one too.

joeyd929
01-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Hi Joeyd,

Sounds like you have a pretty advanced ear.

Do you have fully developed Relative Pitch ? and/or do you have Perfect Pitch ?

Have you used the David Burge ear training CD's at all ? If so what are your thoughts on them ?

Sorry for the 100 questions but I am determined to open up my ear.

I seem to be stuck on the lightening rounds in Burges Relative Pitch course.

The intervals played slowly are fine but at lightening speed it becomes more difficult.

Anyhow I did my ear training this morning but will do 10 mins this afternoon. :)

I believe I have relative pitch but not perfect..I have never used Burges pitch course.

Something I do to try and do for ear training is take a note and play the same note over different notes.

For example, E played above C would be a Major 3 interval. Now, take that same E and play it with a G above it. Now you have a minor 3. Then, take the same E and put it above a B. Now you have a perfect 4th.

It works well for training because it is amazing how the ear gets used to the E for the first interval and how different the E sounds with the other notes.

Sort of like eating after brushing your teeth, everything tasts different....OK, that's an odd analogy but you know what I mean.

Try playing the E against every other note..

E against E (unison)
E against F
E against F#
E against G

and so on.....

It really forces you you hear the same note throughout the entire training process and forces you to hear the second note. It's like moving through key change tonality in some ways, great for ear training...