PDA

View Full Version : "Worn out" fingers (Important! HURRY!)

paularve
04-10-2003, 12:52 PM
What do I do when my guitar "semi exam" is tomorrow and my fingers are dry and hard only after three ours of practicing? I guess alot of you have experienced this finger problem, but what do yuo do when you're in a hurry? Somebody help me!

Guni
04-10-2003, 01:48 PM
Ok, I'm really serious when I say this: don't let the pressure get to you. It won't do you any good - be it for yourself or the exam. Go for a beer and make the most out of it tomorrow - that's what I did and it worked for me.

Perhaps it'd be a good idea not to practice today because the stuff probably wont sink in anyways...

Guni

metallibeast
04-10-2003, 03:06 PM
What's up?

You could try putting some FastFret...it makes your strings smoother. If your fingers are too dry...it will be easier to play.

Anyway for me its the other way around...I get somewhat nervous and my palm starts to sweat.

Good Luck :D

Let us know the results

-Beast

paularve
04-11-2003, 01:55 PM
OK, so now I'm done with my exam, and it did actually work pretty well (but thank God it's another 2 months to my final exam!)
But I still wonder: Why are my fingers gettin' dry and hard? Is it because they usually don't play 7 hours a day, or is it something else? How do I avoid this? And how do I "nurse" them when they are at such a state? Is skin-lotion an alternative?

NMucci
04-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Hello,
You may simply have dry skin. Try putting some moisturizer on your hands and fingertips everday, I put moisturizer on my hand before I go to bed. If all else fails, see a doctor.

EricV
04-12-2003, 04:29 AM
Hey there,

itīs a good thing your exam was ok.
Anyway, when I was a child I had a skin disease... extremely dry skin, during the winter the skin on my knuckles would sometimes crack... very painful.
For years I used medication and all kinds of treatments ( although the best IMHO still is regular use of moisturing lotions ), but I still have dry skin, not as bad though.
And actually, for me, itīs a good thing. My hands hardly sweat at all, I donīt wear our strings very fast, picks donīt slip, and when I play a guitar which has finish on the back of the neck, it doesnīt get sticky.
Itīs rather irrititating to me to have wet / moist hands while playing, I donīt like it.
Well, I simply got used to it, and I actually do consider it an advantage.
Eric

metallibeast
04-12-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by EricV
And actually, for me, itīs a good thing. My hands hardly sweat at all, I donīt wear our strings very fast, picks donīt slip, and when I play a guitar which has finish on the back of the neck, it doesnīt get sticky.
Itīs rather irrititating to me to have wet / moist hands while playing, I donīt like it.
Well, I simply got used to it, and I actually do consider it an advantage.
Eric

Yap I can relate to that...I got hyperhidrosis (excessive perspiration) in my palms...Strings dun last as a matter a fact new strings dun last for more than a few days coz they would rust from my sweat...I dun really have any problems with pick falling but I need to clean the back of my neck very often so that it wouldn't be sticky.

Eventually I went to a local pharmacy and got this bottle medication to apply on my palms...works pretty well so far.

Anyway...one thing that I do b4 I start playing my guitar is to wash my hands with soap...I find that my hands will feel smoother. Easier to play

-Beast