PDA

View Full Version : Satch- Strange Beautiful Music

EricV
06-15-2002, 12:02 PM
Hi guys,

this week I had the opportunity to hear a promo-version of the new Satriani-album "Strange Beautiful Music", which is supposed to be released June 25th.
It sounds great !!! I never really got into "Engines Of Creation". I mean, I liked a few tracks from that CD, but overall, I didnīt really get into the sounds and compositions ( matter of taste, I guess... after all, I have been a Satch-fan ever since "Not Of This Earth" )

However, the new album is like a mixture of "Crystal Planet", "Engines..." and his older stuff. Very mysterious-sounding, atmospheric stuff. Joe does some GREAT playing on there, and although his tone of course is unmistakable, he uses less distortion on the lead guitar most of the time.
The first single, "Starry Night", is a pretty ballad which is a bit different than the other Satch-ballads.
Some of the compositions on SBM are very interesting, dark and mysterious with cool hooklines and lots of atmosphere.
The surprise: a cover of the old instrumental-classic "Sleepwalk" ( which was previously covered by Larry Carlton and Danny Gatton, among others )...

Anyway, I only listened to it twice, but I really can already say that I like it a whole lot, itīs a great record.
You can listen to a full ( streaming ) version of "Starry Night" and to excerpts of the other tunes at Joeīs site. Hereīs a direct link to the SBM-page with the audiofiles: LINK (http://www.satriani.com/2002/discography/Strange_Beautiful_Music/)

Check it out !
Warm regards
Eric

NP: Joe Satriani- "Turkey Man" ( track from the "Additional Creations" bonus CD )

furiousnewf
07-13-2002, 01:53 AM
Sleepwalk is awesome

Knightsaber
09-11-2002, 01:18 AM
i love strange beautiful music!!!!

can anyone transcribe MindStorm for me Please!

metaljustice83
10-20-2002, 05:02 AM
mindstorm is played on a seven string just to let you know i tried to figure it out but couldn't then saw him in concert (awesome by the way) and he pulled out a very nice seven string