PDA

View Full Version : Question about having good ears.

windwatrerthfir
11-29-2006, 02:55 AM
To those of you with good ears how does it help you guys out? Can you imagine melodies better in your hear or more clear. Do have the ability to piece together different notes in your head at your command? The reason I'm asking is because I'm starting to get into ear training pretty heavily because I believe it will help with my writing skills. Just looking for some hope to see if it'll help me think of better ideas.

Also, those of you with good ears, how easy is it to pick out melodies in songs? I mean at times I feel like I can hear the notes singing Fa or Sol, but thats only a maybe. Can you hear melodies and understand what they are playing right away?

joeyd929
11-29-2006, 03:49 AM
To those of you with good ears how does it help you guys out? Can you imagine melodies better in your hear or more clear. Do have the ability to piece together different notes in your head at your command? The reason I'm asking is because I'm starting to get into ear training pretty heavily because I believe it will help with my writing skills. Just looking for some hope to see if it'll help me think of better ideas.

Also, those of you with good ears, how easy is it to pick out melodies in songs? I mean at times I feel like I can hear the notes singing Fa or Sol, but thats only a maybe. Can you hear melodies and understand what they are playing right away?

It has always helped me to have good ears...When I was playing guitar for the first couple of years I started to notice similar sounding chords and progressions in random tunes. I was playing mostly rock in those days but after a while I would hear a little riff and think to myself, gee, that sounds like the same thing being played in this other song..

Even though I learned how to read music, there really was nothing on printed paper pretaining to what I wanted to learn, like rhythm guitar parts for "mama kin" or "walk this way" by Aerosmith. I found that if I sat down with it I could figure it out.

I spent countless hours learning the first 4 aerosmith albums and most of led zeppelin rhythm guitar parts, lots of judas priest, scorpions, Clapton, Hendrix....that sort of thing. It's all the same stuff in a nutshell.

My theory was that if someone else played it on the guitar, then, well, it can be done, so it was a matter of figuring it out. Then I got into learning note for note solos and would sit there with the cassette player and rewind over and over and over and get one little riff at a time.

I learned solos like the intro solo and slide solo in Lynerd Skynerd's "I know a little". After a while if you play rock, or any style of music you start to hear patterns of repetetion across the board.

The thing was that I never started out with the intent of learning by ear, it was out of necessity and after a while I could pretty much figure out anything that was thrown at me in the rock music world. Of course, I really did not like 80's metal so I never bothered learning much of that stuff. I think the last metal tune I learned was Crazy Train, back in the early 80's. Those players were good but were more concerned with how their hair looked and getting chicks......OK, the part about getting chicks must have been great but that's not what music is about..at least not to me.

But to answer your question, yes, it got to the point where I could hear something and instantly knew pretty much what was being done and where to find it.

I have had many instances where I would be thinking about a song that I wanted to learn and then just pick up the guitar and learn it without using the record. When I took up piano, one day I was thinking about the ending piano part for "Layla" by Clapton and starded thinking about the chords on the guitar and applied it to the piano and learned the part.

I was happily surprised to find out a few weeks later that I was playing it right, I downloaded the tune and compared it to what I was playing and I was right on the money...