PDA

View Full Version : The 3rd Finger ! (No ! Next to it !)

Spino
11-30-2006, 07:39 PM
...after a ,short notice cancelled band rehearsal and having my own private rehearsal , I just suceeded in intigrating my third right hand finger into my plucking technique took me about a month to get it trained-up ,first couple -a-days I overdid it and it locked -up , Ha Ha ! got stuck in one position ,cramped ,had to rest it a couple of days . Then I started doing 5 mins of triplets very slowly 40-60 bpm and built it up to about 120 bpm max , just now and again, the odd-day, then it just happened,you can get quite a slap with it too ,still a bit shaky ,still got a bit of a mind of it's own , but the muscles have gotten the message Cool ! I'm havin ' a beer ! So the next thing would be to use the other free fingers for targeted muting Hmmmm ! One thing leads.... ;) Good here innit ?

joeyd929
12-01-2006, 02:32 AM
...after a ,short notice cancelled band rehersal and having my own private rehersal , I just suceeded in intigrating my third right hand finger into my plucking technique took me about a month to get it trained-up ,first couple -a-days I overdid it and it locked -up , Ha Ha ! got stuck in one position ,cramped ,had to rest it a couple of days . Then I started doing 5 mins of triplets very slowly 40-60 bpm and built it up to about 120 bpm max , just now and again, the odd-day, then it just happened,you can get quite a slap with it too ,still a bit shaky ,still got a bit of a mind of it's own , but the muscles have gotten the message Cool ! I'm havin ' a beer ! So the next thing would be to use the other free fingers for targeted muting Hmmmm ! One thing leads.... ;) Good here innit ?

I'm getting the hang of using my 3rd and 4th finger of right hand while holding a pick and doing alternate picking....takes time but it comes if I work at it...I'm so happy that I'm starting to see improvement.

blacksh33p
12-01-2006, 06:33 AM
first thing i was taught with bass was to not use the thumb, to just rest it on the pickup and use the first two fingers mainly. but it seems more natural to me to use the thumb on the e string and the next three fingers on the next three strings. maybe that's just from playing guitar fingerstyle on rare occassion...

joeyd929
12-01-2006, 11:42 AM
first thing i was taught with bass was to not use the thumb, to just rest it on the pickup and use the first two fingers mainly. but it seems more natural to me to use the thumb on the e string and the next three fingers on the next three strings. maybe that's just from playing guitar fingerstyle on rare occassion...

Your quote is funny.. "Insert ironic statement here". We all have them at work under out Emails. This one kid at work, for his signature quote says "Stop putting quotes under your siguature".. funny. My work quote is "common sense is wort it's weight in gold"..

ANYWAY, I have tried that style also. I even spent a few weeks with a thumb pick a la chet atkins or Lenny Breau. They are nice but a bit restricting.

Then I saw Albert Lee holding a pick and blazing so at least I knew it was possible. It is a bit restricting but I like it because you can go right into strumming with a pick and even put it in your mouth if you need all fingers for a fingerpicking piece where a pick is not practical.....

Spino
12-01-2006, 03:28 PM
... I also used to use the thumb but after a reccomendation by someone who's been playing forever the anchored finger on the pu became my preferred method, you can get more of a snap out of the strings when required and in general more control and stability when using the tips of the fingers for the fast stuff . I remember reading something about Anthony Jackson adapting the classical guitar style when playing his 6 string Fodera so that would mean he uses the thumb also .