View Full Version : Chords with walking bass lines

04-13-2003, 12:42 AM
I've seen some performers play solo jazz pieces without any accompaniment, they do a mixture of a chord solo and walking bass line...

If u know how to make an arrangement like that please write down, until now I found no info about this topic.

04-13-2003, 04:52 AM
When walking a bass line and comping through these, think of this...

To begin, walk each chord that receives 4 beats: 1-3-5, then, each fourth beat, approach the next chord with a dominant 7th a half-step above or below...

Another walking/comping approach is to do whole dominant chords each beat:

F7---/Bb7---/ etc...
F7,E7,F7,B7/Bb,B7,Bb7,Gb7/ etc...

For chords that have only 2 beats per measure, approach each chord from a half-step above or below, playing the chord on the beat in which it occurs:

Cm-F7-/Bbmaj7---/ etc...
C,E,F,B/Bb---/ etc...

Bbm-Eb7-/Am-D7-/Abm-Db7-/Gm-C7-/Fmaj7---/ etc...
Bb,E,Eb,Bb/A,Eb,D,A/Ab,C,Db,Gb/G,Db,C,Gb/F etc..

I hope this helps...

Scott Jones

04-14-2003, 02:34 PM
Maybe you didn't answer my question, or I just didn't understand...

I was talking about making an arrangement with 2 voices - walking bass and chords together - it's like playing a bass part but mixing it with a chord solo or a melody, like pianists do.

I don't know how to do that, I've only seen guitarists playing like that, so I've no idea what to do :)

04-16-2003, 10:41 PM
Hey man, check out this link.. there are a few samples and some info on products for walking bass chords in the Jazz context..

I'm only barely competant in this style so I'm not going fill your head with advice that is probably really full of it.. I do perform this style using the fingers and not a pick though..

Also, Martin Taylor has some cool walking bass jazz tunes and I believe he has a few instuctional books out. And, of course, look up some transcriptions or books on Joe Pass technique..

Wyll Watts

04-17-2003, 01:07 AM
Thx :)

And I never thought about using a pick to execute this stuff... The guys I saw playing like this used only fingers, and legatos for some fast melody stuff.