PDA

View Full Version : Chords with walking bass lines

DepressedNazgul
04-13-2003, 12:42 AM
I've seen some performers play solo jazz pieces without any accompaniment, they do a mixture of a chord solo and walking bass line...

If u know how to make an arrangement like that please write down, until now I found no info about this topic.

Sjonesmusic
04-13-2003, 04:52 AM
When walking a bass line and comping through these, think of this...

To begin, walk each chord that receives 4 beats: 1-3-5, then, each fourth beat, approach the next chord with a dominant 7th a half-step above or below...

ie:

F7---/Bb7---/F7---/----/Bb7---/----/F7---/----/C7---/Bb7---/F7---/----/
F,A,C,(B7)/Bb,D,F,(E7)/etc...

Another walking/comping approach is to do whole dominant chords each beat:

F7---/Bb7---/ etc...
F7,E7,F7,B7/Bb,B7,Bb7,Gb7/ etc...

For chords that have only 2 beats per measure, approach each chord from a half-step above or below, playing the chord on the beat in which it occurs:

Cm-F7-/Bbmaj7---/ etc...
C,E,F,B/Bb---/ etc...

Bbm-Eb7-/Am-D7-/Abm-Db7-/Gm-C7-/Fmaj7---/ etc...
Bb,E,Eb,Bb/A,Eb,D,A/Ab,C,Db,Gb/G,Db,C,Gb/F etc..

I hope this helps...

Peace,

Scott Jones

DepressedNazgul
04-14-2003, 02:34 PM
Maybe you didn't answer my question, or I just didn't understand...

I was talking about making an arrangement with 2 voices - walking bass and chords together - it's like playing a bass part but mixing it with a chord solo or a melody, like pianists do.

I don't know how to do that, I've only seen guitarists playing like that, so I've no idea what to do :)

Wyll_Watts
04-16-2003, 10:41 PM
Hey man, check out this link.. there are a few samples and some info on products for walking bass chords in the Jazz context..
http://carbon.cudenver.edu/~pmusso/

I'm only barely competant in this style so I'm not going fill your head with advice that is probably really full of it.. I do perform this style using the fingers and not a pick though..

Also, Martin Taylor has some cool walking bass jazz tunes and I believe he has a few instuctional books out. And, of course, look up some transcriptions or books on Joe Pass technique..

Wyll Watts

DepressedNazgul
04-17-2003, 01:07 AM
Thx :)

And I never thought about using a pick to execute this stuff... The guys I saw playing like this used only fingers, and legatos for some fast melody stuff.