PDA

View Full Version : Attempts to learn music theory

Obivion
12-07-2006, 07:18 PM
I've been playing guitar for 4 years now, I'm able to play at a reasonable standard (I can nail the Symphony of Destruction solo with luck), but I want to learn music theory. But the thing is, when I try to sit down and read sheet music, I'm so slow! So what usually happens is I give up after a week and when I try again I get frustrated because I know the basics. Can anyone recommend any good theory books/ advice?

Regards

UKRuss
12-08-2006, 08:34 AM
Sight reading music is not necessarily part of music theory. You can learn music theory without needing to sight read music.

Perhaps try some of our basic articles here on IBM to get to grips with your theory and then move into the reading sheet music.

Mateo150
01-09-2007, 04:47 AM
The Bekeley "Modern Method for Guitar" 3 book series is very nice and critically hailed. I'm going through it from page one, I'm about 1/2 way through the first book. Get a good teacher, My teacher and I usually very briefly review the pages I was assigned to learn, then go on to working with whatever standard we're working on for most of the time. Just keep on doing it, and just keep on moving forward in the book, even if you don't play it "perfectly". He's a professor so I just kind of trust he knows what he's doing, but my reading has gotten a lot as well as my playing.

Oh yeah, and you don't need to sight read to learn theory, it probably helps and its a great skill to have nonetheless. Focusing and commiting to read a lot better and do ear training has done more for my musical ability and theory knowledge than any guitar exercises I've been practicing in the last 2 years.

Obivion
02-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the advice guys