PDA

View Full Version : keyboard/piano tabs??

Kuckelimuck
01-05-2007, 12:05 AM
Anyone knows some good site with keyboard/piano tabs? I`ve searched alot but i can`t find anything:(. Whould like to learn jump(van halen):D

silent-storm
01-05-2007, 01:44 AM
wouldn't a keyboard tab have to have 88 lines?

ashc
01-05-2007, 07:48 AM
LOL :d

The Doc
01-05-2007, 08:30 PM
wouldn't a keyboard tab have to have 88 lines?
Probably. You don't see them because they don't make sense.

Learn to read music.

SostenutO
01-05-2007, 11:28 PM
http://pianotabs.net/

Poparad
01-06-2007, 01:38 AM

Wow... looks like somebody reinvented the wheel and came up with a square. :eek:

Kuckelimuck
01-06-2007, 02:17 AM
Thanks alot!

silent-storm
01-06-2007, 02:20 AM
is learning standard notation THAT difficult?

man that site was confusing

Try playing this audio slave ditty without the recording:

G A bB C bB A G
G A F Bb C D
Bb A F D Bb A F D Bb A F D Bb A F D
D E F G A Bb C D E F E F

The Doc
01-06-2007, 05:17 AM

Apparently it is. Good luck with playing classical music by using tablature. My biggest gripe with the tab concept is that you are required to know what the piece sounds like in order to know the rhythems. You don't need that with standard notation. No self-respecting pianist is incapable of reading music.

SostenutO
01-06-2007, 04:34 PM
I was only giving him what he wanted. He asked for a site with piano tabs and I gave him one.

Anyway, before I took piano lessons I used to read little tabs for Bon Jovi songs lol. And if you ever buy a beginner's piano book the very first thing they start you with is learning to play music by letters. It will be like "C D E F G G". Then they will throw in the notes and staff lines later. However I do think that you should get out of the tab scene quickly. Learn to read music fast and don't get dependent on tabs (which I think is impossible since you will get very bored of playing crappy tab songs and need to learn to read real music)

silent-storm
01-06-2007, 11:52 PM
I was only giving him what he wanted. He asked for a site with piano tabs and I gave him one.

Oh I know that's all you were doing, I was just amazed at how much effort the people on that site put in to not read notation. I think learning to read those tabs effectively and learning standard notation would take about the same time.

The Doc
01-07-2007, 05:53 AM
Oh I know that's all you were doing, I was just amazed at how much effort the people on that site put in to not read notation. I think learning to read those tabs effectively and learning standard notation would take about the same time.

Additionally, standard notation is more widely recognized and will get you farther.

Blutwulf
01-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Sight reading standard notation is surely easier than piano tab. Standard notation denotes (heh, another pun today) each note relative to the last, over a key signature that tells you where the sharps/flats are. Once you learn standard notation, all you have to remember is when you play sharps or flats.

The only "hard" thing about standard notation is reading the metrics. But all that takes is foot tapping and a fundamental grasp if simplistic fractions. (But I suspect therein is the rub.)

Of course, I learned all this on woodwinds. I can't sight-read and play guitar worth a damn. I have to memorize it from the sheet music, and then play it from memory taking only clues from the notation at that point.

I really should consider practicing it, but I am old and lazy.

tinsmith
01-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Just use chord tab from guitar.

That's what I'm doing.....no problem & I just started.

If you know the chords on guitar, you know it on piano.

SostenutO
01-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Yea, you could just use the guitar chords on the "Guitar/Piano/Vocal" sheet music. Jazz band at my old school used to actually let us do that instead of reading the music sometimes. I think I do that too much though, and I should have spent more time learning to read. Don't try and take the easy way out, take the time to learn to read, I regret that I didn't. Now I've been playing for like 3 years and I'm trying to learn to read better now.

metalmike06
03-07-2007, 04:24 PM

Wow...Honestly, just learn to sight read standard notation for piano. I guarantee you (and I'm sure everybody else does as well) that it's a lot easier than figuring all that out.

sTRANGEdAYS
03-30-2007, 07:29 PM
I would love to learn some Doors on my combo organ.
but you see, I cant find tabs.
I use www.e-chords.com (http://www.e-chords.com) but that gives you the chords and nothing else [and for those of you that listen to the doors knows there are little fills and main parts in between the rhythem chords]
I need a GOOD keyboard tab site to help me learn
"When the Music's Over"
and "Riders on the Storm"
So help me PLEASE?!

drblind83
02-01-2008, 04:06 PM
its funny how everyone here is discussing the usage of keyboard "tabs" and how you need to be able to read music, its not that hard blah blah blah.

Isn't it wonderful that someone just wants to play music no matter how they learn or do.

It doesn't all have to be by the book...I have been playing multiple instruments for 13 years and still to this day have no clue how to read music.

Malcolm
02-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Just takes practice. A pack of flashcards cost about $4.00 at a music store and they can go with you anywhere. Much easier to play standard notation on the piano than on your guitar IMHO. But, it's not that hard to learn just have to practice your sight reading every day for a couple of months. That's one reason I recommend the flash cards and not some computer program, i.e. you can carry the flash cards with you and get in 5 to 10 minutes of study whenever you have some free time.

Ledger notes and the bass clef were the hardest for me. Suggest you leave them in the deck from the start. Being able to recite (remember the order) of the notes A, B, C, D, E, F, G backwards as well as forwards helps with the ledger notes.

Marlbhoro
02-28-2008, 01:24 AM
yeah, http://tabnabber.com/ is pretty sweet... not a big fan of tabs tho

Marlbhoro
03-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Yea, you could just use the guitar chords on the "Guitar/Piano/Vocal" sheet music. Jazz band at my old school used to actually let us do that instead of reading the music sometimes. I think I do that too much though, and I should have spent more time learning to read. Don't try and take the easy way out, take the time to learn to read, I regret that I didn't. Now I've been playing for like 3 years and I'm trying to learn to read better now.
dude I couldnt agree more, LEARN TO READ MUSIC, IT IS WORTH THE PAIN, just buy a piano book, every day open it up to a piece and sight PLAY it, open up to another piece and sight READ it, read through it and thing c d# f f#, give youself like 7 seconds to get each note, then move down to five, and when you get to three you are fluent. eventually if you do this every day for half an hour, you will be able to read music like you are reading this message, and it will be worth it because you can buy the sheet music to almost any song ever, and read it first try think about it

ITS WORTH IT!

megress
03-15-2008, 02:23 PM
cool link for sight reading is
http://bopland.org
it's a great collection of jazz licks that can be played right there

but good piano book and dedication is the best choice :)

sprdave
08-17-2008, 06:08 AM
I work 60 hours per week... and am extremely tired. Needless to say I do not have time to practice piano daily anymore. So instead of having NO music at all in my life here is what I did.

1. Bought a decent YAMAHA 88 weighted keyboard/synth (YAMAHA MOTIF)
2. Signed up for an MP3 service (I now have access to over 12 million songs)
3. Signed up for http://www.e-chords.com

So if you enter an artist you like in e-chords.com, and the TABS for that song come up, and you do not know what it sounds like, call up your MP3 service and download the song. (My particular MP3 service is legal, and I can usually find 100% of any song I am looking for)

After you have the song downloaded and have listened to the song, then practice the TABS as the MP3 is playing.

95% of the time, the TABS are so good on e-chords.com you can learn a song in just minutes. Example: RUSH, Journey, Van Halen etc...

I created a playlist and I simply just start the playlist on my PA system then start playing the TABS as the MP3 song is playing.

It really sounds GOOD!!! It is just like being the keyboard player in the band.

NOTE: I can read music and have taken many years of piano, and I agree with most, TABS ARE NOT the way to play. But if you are a busy individual like myself playiung TABS along with the MP3 playing can impress your friends and give you the satisfaction of sounding like a pro.

The only thing is some TABS are not as good as others, and you kind of have to do some rhythm for some.

Good luck and just have fun with TABS, but try to practice sheet music as well. :p -sprdave

galaxyrock
11-06-2008, 05:19 AM
Wow... looks like somebody reinvented the wheel and came up with a square. :eek:

Keyboard tablature is not a not a new concept. Tablature for the organ dates back to at least 1360.

Someone mentioned that no one will ever learn how to play classical music without sheet music. True enough, but what kind of dork wants to play classical music?

Grep
11-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Compared to reading music on guitar, it's almost trivially easy on the piano. It's practically tab already. Each line and space represents a specific key and note. I pretty much fail to see the point of tab on a piano.

Oh yeah, and this kind of dork wants to play classical music. Nothing wrong with it, there's some really great stuff out there. Don't be small minded!

Grep.

ethelen
11-14-2008, 02:30 PM
hi all... this is my first foray onto ibreathemusic. found it by google search for keyboard tab and this thread came up.

anywho, as a bass player (that doesn't read music.. although my ex-wife does) in a band without a keyboard player, all i want to know is what are the two simple (or maybe not so much for a bass player) little keyboard chords in the smashmouth song "can't get enough of you baby"?? and how do you play them? Thanks...

Eric

Malcolm
11-14-2008, 05:05 PM
http://www.911tabs.com/link/?210106

Acording to that the notes are
F# and B in the first tab.

F, D#, G# B & C# in the rest.

Here is a guitar fretboard chart just omit the top two strings.

http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/GuitarFretboardMap.htm

ethelen
11-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.... but I'm looking for the keyboard chords and how to play them on the keyboard.

Malcolm
11-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Can not find any free guitar chords in fake chord format for this song -- so we did find some bass tab. Let's assume the bass F note would be an F chord, B note would be a B chord.

To make the F chord -- F will be the root or R.
R + 4 + 3 will get you an F chord, i.e. sound the F with your left hand little finger -- go up scale 4 white and black keys (to the A) then proceed up 3 more black and white keys to the C note. The F, A & C note make your F chord.

Now that F# would be --- little finger on the F# (it's a black key) now count up four black and white notes to A# then up three more to C# and guess what the F#, A# and C# make the F# chord.

Lets make that B. Little finger on the B then up 4 to the D# then up 3 to the F# and that is the B chord -- B, D# & F#

R + 4 + 3 = Major
R + 3 + 4 = minor
R + 3 + 3 = diminished
Extensions + 2 = 6th, + 3 = dominant 7 and + 4 = maj7

R + 4 + 3 + 2 would be a 6th chord
R + 4 + 3 + 3 would be a dominant 7th chord
R + 4 + 3 + 4 would be a maj7 chord

So using that cheat sheet - memory peg -- what ever you should be able to make most chords shown on any fake chord sheet music. Problem is I can not find any fake chord on this song. Only thing I can suggest is.... The lyrics for this song can be found on the Internet. Call them up and using that bass tab we found figure out which chord change is over what word. Sing and let your voice provide the melody for your keyboard chord accompaniment.

Have fun.

ethelen
11-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Good think I took calculus and multivariable equations in college. :D Thanks for typing all that out... I'll give it all a shot over the weekend. Have a good one!!

Malcolm
11-14-2008, 08:11 PM
I found something we can use.
http://www.guitarists.net/tab/view.php?id=35905

One of Smash mouth 's songs, not the same song, however, the same chords, and as such I think this progression under the lyrics for the song in question would work.

F# G# B
Lately I've been thinkin about the past, about the good
C# F#
times, and have they all come and gone. And are there more
G# B C#
years behind, then ahead, then I say to myself

It's a basic I,. ii,.. IV, V,..I
..............F#, G#, B, C#, F#

In this one he is using three line verses - one complete progression in the first two lines.

Now in I can't get enough of you baby the verse structure changes and I'd bet the following chord progression would work.

F# G# B
I can't get enough of you baby

F# G# B

C# F#
Yes it's true

C# F#
Baby yes it's true

Can't recall a verse structure like this, but, I've never heard the song you take it from here..........

Whenever we kiss I get a feeling like this
I get to wishin that there was two of you
My heart crys out more baby
It feels so nice I want your arms to wrap around me twice
Right or Wrong
Baby Right or Wrong
When you had to go I hated the thought
I always wish the night was twice as long
I love you so much
I wish that there was more of you to touch
Can't get enough of you baby
YAAAAA
Whenever we kiss I get a feeling like this
I get to wishing that there was two of you
I love you so much
I wish that there was more of you to touch

Have fun.

Alexalin
11-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi,Even i am searching for the good site which will help to know and learn the piano.I will let you know if i know any good site.So that we can exchange our links.

lee_kim
12-25-2008, 01:33 PM
thanks for those information. ^^
i get lots of things from them. i start playing piano

fantasia
12-29-2008, 12:19 AM
I would love to learn some Doors on my combo organ.
but you see, I cant find tabs.
I use www.e-chords.com (http://www.e-chords.com/) but that gives you the chords and nothing else [and for those of you that listen to the doors knows there are little fills and main parts in between the rhythem chords]
I need a GOOD keyboard tab site to help me learn
"When the Music's Over"
and "Riders on the Storm"
So help me PLEASE?!

I have sheet music for a few doors songs. I think I saved the site link somewhere as well. Send me a PM.

buggynot
12-26-2011, 07:45 PM
No self-respecting pianist is incapable of reading music.

So Ray Charles isn't a self-respecting pianist?

http://tabnabber.com (http://tabnabber.com/) has loads of easy to read piano tabs, plus you can listen to them as midis (even guitar tabs).