PDA

View Full Version : Face Guitar

Obivion
02-08-2007, 09:38 PM
After watching many of the masters in practise such as Al di Meola and Steve Vai, I want to know whether there is actually any purpose to face guitar, such as allowing you to play in a more intimate manner, or is it just a gimmick?

Post your thoughts...

joeyd929
02-09-2007, 01:42 AM
After watching many of the masters in practise such as Al di Meola and Steve Vai, I want to know whether there is actually any purpose to face guitar, such as allowing you to play in a more intimate manner, or is it just a gimmick?

Post your thoughts...

A little of both I think. Eric Clapton is not a face player....This guy is for sure....Wow.. (see attached pic)

I'm not a face player but like many guitarists, my face contorts sometimes when trying to reach or play certain things. My friends used to hassle me because I just stand there and play, but hey, that's me... Franly, I feel like an idoit standing there making faces...

joeyd929
02-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Here is a link, choose your face.

http://blog.wfmu.org/photos/guitar_face/index.html

silent-storm
02-09-2007, 03:45 AM
In some situations it may not be necessary, but I don't think it's just a gimmick...

whatever get's you where you need to go.

me, I stare at the floor.

UKRuss
02-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Me, I'm in their faces man. I flick my tongue in and out like a lizard and then bare my teeth in a monkey stylee before executine some pelvic thrusting like Vai in a DLR video.

The kids love it.

:D

Gilmours "close your eyes, suck your cheeks in and move head slowly from side to side" works for me too in a ballad setting.

joeyd929
02-09-2007, 12:16 PM
In some situations it may not be necessary, but I don't think it's just a gimmick...

whatever get's you where you need to go.

me, I stare at the floor.

In the 1960's, the rock musicians had long hair. In the 70's, it carried over to television and all the news anchors had "big puffy" hair and sideburns to try and fit in to the whole picture.

In the 1980's all the lipstick, tight leather, eye liner wearing long hair guitar virtuosos (all guitarists were virtuoso's in the 80's) had long hair because it looked cool.

Anyway, my point is that ALL faces made by 80's hair bands were for show and blow..... *Tilting the head back when bending a note...*swinging the head and hair back and fourth when ripping through a run...*the classic head snap back and fourth while playing rhythm (later stolen my hardcore metal bands)...the "lean the head back, open the mouth, squint the eyes and pretend you are having intimate moments with a lady friend, while playing melodic runs thing...

Ugh...I swear they worked out those moves in advance....The guitar got lost in the mix.

UKRuss
02-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Someone stole your hardcore metal bands?

The swine!

joeyd929
02-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Someone stole your hardcore metal bands?

The swine!

Uh...right..that was a typo. It was suppose to be the word "by". Stolen BY metal bands. As in, The hard core metal bands stole the head shaking thing from the 80's hair bands.

Quite honestly, I think it works for the hardcore metal bands but it looked stupid for the 80's bands.

joeyd929
02-09-2007, 01:04 PM
I know, I know...I have long hair. But I can assure you...I don't wear lipstick or mascara. I don't dance around like peter pan on stage.......Heck, I have not been on stage since 1995. Oh yeah, I don't wear high heals either, except for that pair of stiletto.., well, never mind, it was one time and I was drinking.......(just kidding) ...I was not drinking.... (heh heh)

Blutwulf
02-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Sometimes it is involuntary, and sometimes it is artifice.

Nothing wrong at all with giving the crowd what they want. If I pay money to go see some pack of weenies doing 80's-style hair metal, I want my money to buy hairspray, spandex, and flying scissor kicks. If I pay to see thrash, I wanna see a microphone tucked into a huge mound of hair singing demonic grunts. If I pay to see delta blues, I wanna see some dude on a stool rocking slowly. If I pay for free jazz, I want to see someone in wrapt concentration.

Yes, if I pay to see a lounge lizard strutting about in chaser lights and a spotlight, I want to see that arm thrown up and that head roll back. If I pay to see some sh*t-kickers twang out some old-school country, I wanna see me some hats.

Obivion
02-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Wow, that was fast...

I think Vai needs some face control, but then I suppose he always has been a fan of gimmicks (even he can't play all the necks at once on that three necked guitar of his..)

I always find it funny how bubblegum pop bands and hair metal are so similar. Like the co-ordinateed moves ala Bon Jovi, or the harmonized vocals from Def Leppard are still there in modern music.

Padawan
02-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Whenever I play or hear an orgasmic rock guitar solo and want to fully enjoy it, I HAVE TO make gimmiks like leaning back during the bends, shiver with my body during the vibratos etc.
It's like with people dancing. They do it to enjoy the music even more.

Steve Vai is another case of course...:rolleyes:

BillyJack
02-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Oh the mental pictures coursing through my head! Thank the maker we still have audio media and not all video! :D

mattblack850
02-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Here is a link, choose your face.

http://blog.wfmu.org/photos/guitar_face/index.html
I'm surprised not to see any pics of SRV in there, he was a World Class 'Gurner'!!!!:D :D

jade_bodhi
02-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Whenever I play or hear an orgasmic rock guitar solo and want to fully enjoy it,

I have been told by my boyfriend that my guitar face is the same as my naughty face. Not exactly how he phrased it, though. I was a little embarrassed to learn this!

joeyd929
02-11-2007, 03:47 PM
I have been told by my boyfriend that my face guitar is the same as my naughty face. Not exactly how he phased it, though. I'm a little embarrassed!

Wow!

Obivion
02-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Steve Vai is another case of course...:rolleyes:

To bad his facial skills don't translate into melodic feel, or he'd be the best guitarist ever. He looks like he's having palpitations on stage...

LaughingSkull
03-08-2007, 01:23 PM
To bad his facial skills don't translate into melodic feel, or he'd be the best guitarist ever. He looks like he's having palpitations on stage...

For my taste, Vai does not lack melodic feel. But, yes, sometimes it's better just to listen to him (eyes closed).

I sometimes scare myself during playing guitar. It seems my mouth gets in such a shape, that when breathing a piercing whistle comes out ...

Obivion
04-16-2007, 09:21 PM
QUOTE=LaughingSkull]For my taste, Vai does not lack melodic feel. But, yes, sometimes it's better just to listen to him (eyes closed). [/QUOTE]

I think its way more fun watching him. I think he gets a little too far into the "mystical experience" sometimes, know what I mean?;)

EricV
04-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Well, I dont think of it a s a gimmick. I am sure some people do it on purpose, btu whats funny is...when I started out, a friend of mine and me used to watch guitar-videos, and we always cracked jokes about the faces guys like Satriani and Vai did.
And well, later on he went "You`re doing it! Those faces!". And I do, but I don't ever do it on purpose. Its usually just that I am so into whatever I am playing that I dont pay attention to what my face does, and I just do those guitar faces I guess... whether its pinch harmonics, whammy bar antics, or whatever.
So when I see Vai, I dont think "thats corny". I even like that he usually accompanies whatever he plays with a facial expression or a gesture.

EricV
04-16-2007, 11:55 PM
I have been told by my boyfriend that my guitar face is the same as my naughty face. Not exactly how he phrased it, though. I was a little embarrassed to learn this!

LOL I can imagine. Well, when you play, there`s usually either a very focussed and "concentrating" expression, or a more detached, dreamy one, maybe thats where that resemblance comes from?
And it sucks when someone tells you what it does look like, like in that situation. I remember seeing the first video footage of myself on stage, with the band I was in at that time and went "I DID NOT DO THAT!"
Eric

forgottenking2
04-17-2007, 12:07 AM
I do the guitar faces without meaning to. The just kind of come out. Like the angry face when playing a particularly aggressive riff or the dreammy face or the talking face... or... (man there are SO many) lol I didn't realize I did them until my wife pointed it out and then watching videos of myself performing. The good thing is that I do address the audience and smile a lot at people, but even when I make a concious effort to connect with people, there are still some of those "private" moments when I am into it and the faces just show lol. I don't think it's a gimmick either

jade_bodhi
04-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Yeah, there are as many faces as guitar players. I usually wear the closed-eye dreamy face. I remember watching an early video of Eddie Van Halen, and he didn't have a grotesque guitar face, not that I can remember. He smiled a lot while playing his leads, as if he was amusing himself immensely. That happy look on his face is another reason I wanted to learn to play (see other recent related thread): I thought to myself, "he is having so much fun; that's what I want to do." Obviously, I never became a player like EVH. But I still love as much.

joeyd929
04-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Yeah, there are as many faces as guitar players. I usually wear the closed-eye dreamy face. I remember watching an early video of Eddie Van Halen, and he didn't have a grotesque guitar face, not that I can remember. He smiled a lot while playing his leads, as if he was amusing himself immensely. That happy look on his face is another reason I wanted to learn to play (see other recent related thread): I thought to myself, "he is having so much fun; that's what I want to do." Obviously, I never became a player like EVH. But I still love as much.

I know the famous EVH smile, saw him live twice with David Lee Roth, back in 1979 and again in 80....Man, those were the days.

My Dad always ribs me when he attends a gig I am playing. He says I need to smile more and interact. I prefer just to stand there like Clapton or one of this guys that rarely makes faces and just plays. If I make a face it's purely unintentional.

Ldavis04
04-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Anybody ever watch Robin Trower? Talk about "face guitar".....