PDA

View Full Version : audition, help needed

Padawan
03-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Ahoi crew members,

I want to apply at some music schools where you can mainly study jazz, in case the cool music schools don't let me in.

So part of the requirements are that I play two songs of different jazz styles.
I'm new to jazz but I once transcribed Djangos minor swing and I can play Brian Setzer's version of sleepwalk. Do you think that would be ok to play?

I also have to play a jazz ballad (I don't know any) and a notated piece/singlenote transcription, also in jazz style. (don't know what they mean)

Then there are schools where you have to play the piano, so I have to play 2 easy piano pieces at the audition, any recommendations? I heard chick corea has some cool easy songs.

Once the application is sent I will take lessons again to make sure the audition will be succesful.
Ah, one problem, I'm late as always and the application with the songs I want to play should be sent on WEDNESDAY and not later. :rolleyes: :eek:

Padawan
03-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Poparad helped me already, case closed :)

Padawan
03-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Oh, I still need 2 easy piano pieces, any idea?

ashc
03-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Any particular genre?

Padawan
03-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Hm...no, I think it can be anything. What would you suggest?

leppard81
03-27-2007, 08:41 PM
How about playing a blues? A walking bassline? That could be fun :-)

Padawan
03-27-2007, 09:07 PM
well, why not, I just need specific song titles where you can get notation for the piano. The problem is that I never played piano, so I better work my *** of for 2 month :D

ashc
03-28-2007, 08:26 AM
An easy, and atmospheric, classical piece would be Gnossiennes No .1 by Erik Satie (easier even than the Gymnopedies). Very simple left hand.

A second source of easy pieces would be the minuets from Bach's Anna Magdalena book. e.g. No.4 in G.

NB: with two months practice I wouldn't go any harder than this.

For rock/pop then piano voice song books often have fairly easy chord with melody on top arrangements - can be a bit "cruise ship" though.

mattblack850
03-28-2007, 10:50 AM
An easy, and atmospheric, classical piece would be Gnossiennes No .1 by Erik Satie (easier even than the Gymnopedies). Very simple left hand.

Would you not suggest Moonlight Sonata as well Ash??

Padawan
03-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks for your advice ahcs, I think I will stick with it :)

Moonlight sonata is great but isn't it a bit too depressing for an audition?

mattblack850
03-28-2007, 12:40 PM
I can see why it's seen as depressing, but to play it well you have to show a lot of control over the dynamics! That's the reason I suggested it.:D

Padawan
03-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Hm...I just thought about playing a song from the amélie soundtrack because it's a song I'd love to play anyway. Do you think it's possible?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ2CT3ClX0w

I will play the Eric Satie piece for sure, it's easy and atmospheric

ashc
03-28-2007, 03:04 PM
I can see why it's seen as depressing, but to play it well you have to show a lot of control over the dynamics! That's the reason I suggested it.:D

The only thing with Moonlight is that the 1st movement (the bit everyone knows) although technically not difficult is 6 pages or something, so either you have to memorise it all or try and sight read it. I'm a useless sight reader so I always put that one away until I got better some day.

Check out the 3rd movement - eek! (concert pianists only)

ashc
03-28-2007, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=Padawan]Hm...I just thought about playing a song from the amélie soundtrack because it's a song I'd love to play anyway. Do you think it's possible?

Damn work internet kept stopping and starting, but, that looks/sounds easy enough, although it could be very tiring on the left hand for a beginner - don't want to run out of steam half way through. Good piece to learn though, might try it myself, it's nice.

I should mention I'm not really that qualified to make these judgements - thats why I know about easy pieces! I mostly only worked on my own stuff with keyboards and have very little technique. I recently learnt one of Bach's two part inventions and it took me aaaaaaages (a long time) as I only play keys a fraction of the time I waste on guitar :D

Padawan
03-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Those Bach inventions are cool, I play the 4th and 8th together with my chinese friend...hey I think you were the one who recommended them to me!

You might also try the fugue from Malmsteens "unleash the fury", it would work very nice on the piano and it's easy. (edit: despite the thrillers I guess :D )

Again, thanks for your advice :)