PDA

View Full Version : Loudness Thread!

FireStorm
05-01-2003, 12:00 AM
Someone suggested we start a Loudness thread so......here we go! If someone has any questions regarding Loudness (songs, Akira Takasaki, equipment) just ask! I wish I had a scanner so I could show some cool exercises from my Takasaki profession approach book....

Oceano
05-02-2003, 12:27 PM
Years ago, I bought a Loudness record at a second hand vinyl store. However, I don't know much about Loudness, or this album. Maybe some of you can tell me more about this album in particular.

The name of the album is "The law of devil's land"
The cover artwork (very bad actually), is of a kid seating on a throne, with a sword on his side, and it's all in blue and white colours.

The only credits on the album, are these:
Akira Takasaki (guitar)
Munetaka Higuchi (drums)
Masayoshi Yama****a (bass)
Eve (chorus of theme Loudness)

The songs on the album are:

Side 1:

1. Theme of Loudness-part II
2. In the mirror
3. Show me the way
4. I wish you were here
5. Mr. yes man

Side 2:

1. The law of devil's land
2. Black wall
3. Sleepless night
4. Speed

There is no more info on the album (except for a code number: RK-47), no date, nothing at all.

I am just curious to know when this album could have been released, was it one of their earliest albums, etc.

thanks in advance.

Thorsten
05-02-2003, 02:13 PM
Hey Firestorm, another cool Akira pick. Iīd like to know is there an official Loudness web-site and what amps is Akira currently playing?

TK

Oceano
05-02-2003, 02:21 PM
I think the whole album is sang in Japanese, with the occasional chorus in English (quite funny), but the songs and musicianship are great.

furiousnewf
05-03-2003, 02:02 PM
Damn Thorsten, I just listened to your tunes, all I can say is wow.... I'm going to go burn my guitars now.

Anyway, they rock!!!

Thorsten
05-03-2003, 02:43 PM
Hey Steve, Thanks a lot!

I just checked out your very cool web-site and listened to the song "Lisa Big Booba".( I wish Iīd thought of that song-title first) Jamming to "La isla bonita" takes guts, man!
You have very good technique and a good sense for melody.

Definitely donīt burn your guitars!

TK

furiousnewf
05-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Too kind, I have to work on patience... I find it really hard going back to nail that one note (after recording the one take). Unfortunately alot of those one bad notes add up over time. But I guess that just means praticing more and more, at least this site and guys ike you are out there to keep me inspired!

Thanks

FireStorm
05-03-2003, 11:53 PM
Heh, I like the artwork to Law of Devils Land. Anyway, it was their 3rd album, after Birthday Eve and Devil Soldier and just before their well known Disillusion. It was released in 1983 and is normally considered to be one of their best CDs.

FireStorm
05-03-2003, 11:57 PM
Here are a couple Loudness/Akira Takasaki sites: www.takasaki.net (http://www.takasaki.net)

then there is the official loudness site

http://www3.live.co.jp/loudness/

FireStorm
05-04-2003, 12:04 AM
As of the CD Pandemonium (I have the tab book) released in 2001, Akira's live amps are:
2 Marshall JMP-1
2 Marshall Cabinets
VHT Classic Limited Edition
2 Rocktron Intellipitch
2 Roger Mayer RM-6550

I'm not sure if Akira changed his equipment for their newest release Biosphere. He might of as the sound is not quite the same as in Pandemonium. Unfortunately, Akira no longer uses his Lee Jackson modified Marshalls and you can notice the difference in their songs. While he has heavier, darker distortion, when shredding, some of the bass notes are muddy.

Thorsten
05-04-2003, 12:15 PM
Thanks a lot for the information, Firestorm! I really liked Akiras guitar tone on the older records. Youīre right, a lot of times the new pre-amps have too much gain and bottom end but less dynamics. On stage Iīd always prefer a top.

TK

FireStorm
05-05-2003, 01:48 AM
Yeah I prefer a good top. I actually thought that Akira had pretty bad and stale tone on the first 5 Loudness albums. If you listen to Jealousy, I think that has it's best tone, it sounds soooo liquidy (lot like petrucci). I'm really looking for the sound Akira gets on the Jealousy CD, I think he used a mix of Mesa Boogie Mark IIC's and ADA mp-1.....

Thorsten
05-05-2003, 04:15 PM
Yes, the MP-1 was very popular back then. I still have mine but rarely use it now. I used to have a live set-up were I was running the MP-1 with a power amp and the Lee Jackson at the same time. It was the MP-1 in stereo with effects split left and right and the Lee Jackson dry in the center. So I had the power and the dynamics from the Jackson combined with the effect sounds of the MP-1. Sounded pretty good but waaaay too much hazzle to carry around all that stuff.

TK

FireStorm
05-05-2003, 06:38 PM
Oh hey Thorsten just to tell you I got a random star type guitar off ebay for real cheap. It's not ESP, it's Tokai, but they are just as good and made in Japan.

Thorsten
05-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Congrats on your new guitar, fire! The random star shape is just one of the coolest ( except maybe the iceman ). I find these kind of shapings very comfortable to play live, better then e.g. a standard strat or les paul shape. But the look is completely "METAL" so I canīt always use īem. First time I saw this kind of axe was, I guess, on the back cover of the Van Halen "Women and Children First" album where Ed was holding a selfmade starshape. I think he just cut out the piece from a normal Explorer body.:eek:

TK

EricV
05-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Yeah, he cut a big, triangular piece out of that Explorer-body ( made from korina ! ) . He later said that he always regretted that, cuz the sound of the guitar sucked afterwards. The sound had changed quite a bit, and he didnīt like the new one.
But it was a cool guitar, indeed, although I actually liked the ones pictured below even more ( especially the black and yellow one... Peter Diezel has a copy of that one at his booth at the Musikmesse every year )

Eric

FireStorm
05-08-2003, 06:01 PM
Check this out, heh.

Thorsten
05-08-2003, 07:13 PM
Thatīs great, fire! I was going to post this pic also. Like I said"I want a killer guitar!"

FireStorm
06-05-2003, 02:40 PM
Just got back from Japan!:D

Oh baby, in Tokyo there were at least 7 guitar shops I visited. I was a little disappointed in that most had tons and tons of fenders and gibsons and then only a small portion of the more interesting guitars. A few shops however had lots of Killer guitars and ESP Randomstars. It was totally awesome. I could have afforded one of the lower end Killer guitars but I decided that I rather would wait and save up for the upper prime models, and besides I believe amplifiers are more important. The Killer Prime guitars (running at over 2,000 dollars) have very nice fast necks but they are a little heavy. All I can say, is I really wish I had some of these guitar shops where I live.:D

Thorsten
06-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Hey Fire, very cool!!! Hopefully I can go to Tokyo one day also (maybe when we tour there) to check out all the great stuff. Yeah, I think generally thereīs a draw back to the traditional companys like Fender or Gibson....unfortunately, cause I think Killer guitars or ESPīs are so much better. Good idea to save up your money for the real deal. Itīs better to have one good guitar that you really play then 10 crappy oneīs that fall apart when you hit the first chord on stage!:D

Hope to hear more cool stories from Tokyo...

TK

FireStorm
06-27-2003, 11:07 PM
Great news guys! No, I'm afraid I still don't have a scanner, but those looking to see the rack that Akira Takasaki had sometime during the mid to late 80's (not sure the date) will have to look no further. Go to http://www.adadepot.com/

Once there, go to the Gallery label and choose Pics Of Rigs. There you will see the name Akira Takasaki and you can see the rack. Lots of ADA stuff, especially the mp-1.
I can't wait to get an ADA mp-1:D

Thorsten
06-28-2003, 12:13 PM
Hey Fire,

great pic of Akiraīs rack!

Funny thing is, my name is in there too, but itīs not my rack! This is my rack:
http://home.t-online.de/home/Mr.Shred/amps/images/fotp_amps_02.jpg

Cool site anyway, thanks for the research!

TK

FireStorm
06-28-2003, 06:57 PM
No problem. Actually, I originally found the site because I was interested in getting an ADA mp-1 because they go so cheap on ebay and someone recommended the site. Well, I'm sure that is Akira's rig because I have the same picture in one of my magazines....

malhomme
08-26-2003, 02:19 PM
Honestly, probably like a lot of people here, I'm totally enamored with Mr. Takasaki's sound of the thunder in the east era.
Does anyone knows what pick up he had at this time on his ESP guitar (I mean it is far before the Killeer guitars with DynaBite pick up)...

FireStorm
08-27-2003, 10:25 PM
Believe it or not, until he used Killer Guitars, the pickups he used were the stock ones found in his ESP randomstar. They are called (both the neck and bridge pickup) LH-200. It really shows how much of his sound was in his fingers....

malhomme
08-28-2003, 08:03 AM
woaow.
I see no reason to doubt you, but I am impressed nonetheless. I wish I'd be able to nail that sound with this treble bite before saturation kicks in that gives this "liquid" feel (in lack of best words)..

FireStorm
08-28-2003, 09:01 PM
If you want mega liquid sound, listen to the CD Jealousy by Loudness. Akira used Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+'s and Lee Jackson modded Marshalls. Crazy good tone.

FireStorm
09-25-2003, 10:05 PM
Hey since I'm at college and have faster speed, Would Any Of You Like To Hear A Loudness Song with Masaki on Vocals? It's nowhere as good as with the first singer, but damn, Akira knows how to use that wah.

Thorsten
09-26-2003, 04:26 AM
Yo Fire, I definitely would! Keep it coming!

TK