PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with soloing

FireStorm
05-09-2003, 05:32 AM
I know this may sound like a dumb question, but I have this problem where I really struggle in keeping in rhythm when soloing and need help. I can do rhythm guitar perfectly well, for example I got through the Troy Stetina Rhythm book 1 and am making good headway into the Thrash book, however, I'm still stuck on the soloing book volume 1. I can do most of the licks in the book and fast but once someone throws in drums I'm screwed. I have a bunch of isolated licks that I can play really fast and have practiced them with a metronome but for some reason I can't implement them in a fluid solo. I can do fine soloing slow or in a bluesy type way, but I really want to learn how to do cool metal solos even if they aren't incredibly fast.

daviej
05-09-2003, 06:22 AM
do you practice soloing along with a metronome, or record a rhythm track (onto a cheap tape recorder will do) and solo on that?

FireStorm
05-09-2003, 01:42 PM
I'll speed up my individual solo licks with a metronome and actually play full solos over a drum machine, however sometimes I will record a rhythm track. One problem I get is the drums either seem to fast or too slow if that at all makes sense.

Oceano
05-12-2003, 01:47 PM
I think that is something that you achieve over time, with a lot of playing with other people, etc. Listen to how your favourite solos are constructed, and apply the same ideas to your own solos.

Leviathon
05-13-2003, 08:23 PM
I am to new at playin' guitar right now to give you solid advice for the guitar, but I played trumpet for 20 years so I have some advice for you using some of the same Ideas.

When I first started playin in Jazz band in highschool I could do a fairly nice job of soloing to some slower jazzy bluesy type stuff. But when it came time to build the solo (much like a book, where you have the intro, climax, and ending/resolution) and add some fast runs I had a hard keeping in time and like you said, it seemed that the drums were to fast or too slow, well its not the drums it was me of course. One of the greatest things that my teacher did for us soloist in the band was to record the band playing 5 mins without the soloist, basically just a piano, bass, drums, and other parts that had some fills. He distributed it to everyone in the class. I took home my copy and just practiced. I am not sure how it happened, but it just started to click for some reason. That was the biggest help in the world for me.

I know that I sometimes would just listen to the music and sing what I wanted to play. Get the melodies in my head. It really seemed to work.

Start with a metronome or a drum machine and start of at 70bpm. Work 8th notes and 16th notes like they are going out of style and keep increasing the speed. And make sure you can always hear or feel the down beats, either 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 or however you are comfortable.

But I know what you are feelin' because I have only been playin' the guitar for about 3 weeks now. So I am anxious to learn as much as can and be a proficient as possible.

Hope my 2 cents help

Sabby
05-13-2003, 10:33 PM
Find the speed you are most comfortable with ie with drums and everything else and set your metronome according to that. Make sure you are absolutely comfortable with that speed and up it bit by bit as you go along. Im guessing here but it seems like you have the ever popular "wanna-play-too-fast-too-soon" syndrome. It take time,effort yeah but mostly patience.

What i like to do is play my favourite songs - from my pc - figure out the key and then play a scale over it. Try and choose a song which doesnt have lots of solos but rather nice rhythms and plz dont choose songs that are way too fast to tackle. Be wise and choose a slower song even if you dont like it particularly. Also set your metronome and let rip.

Here's something that really helped me recently. I recorded a simple chord progression in the key of Eb.
1.Eb
2.Bb/Eb
3.Ab/Eb
Its quite tedious recording the same 3 chords for 5 mins but when you fiddle with your major Eb scale over it once its recorded you can come up with great melodies.

Whats the point you say? Threefold:

1.I know my Eb scale across the fretboard so well now
2.Its so much fun you just keep practising
3.Ive noticed that i am playing faster and more fluidly

Hope this helps..
-Sabby