PDA

View Full Version : To study or not to study

Koala
05-09-2003, 03:45 PM
Just curious. What are your thoughts on music and study. Dou you think it is necessary to study to be a good musician or doy you think feeling and a good ear mght be enough.

I realize it might be a bit biased to ask this question here as i think we´re probably nerds if we visit this website hehehhe :).

Michel
05-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Just curious

Bonjour Koala

STUDY and STUDY again............ If you were born whit natural talent fof music You are lucky Yé lucky ........But you ALWAYS have to study AND practice

B'Bye ...Michel

Michel
05-09-2003, 10:12 PM
I forgot to ask...you have a curious mind ? Don't you ??
so learn :D

B'Bye ...Michel

EricV
05-09-2003, 10:56 PM
Hmmm... we discussed this before, but anyway...

I don´t doubt that you can be a good player or even successful without knowing too much theory.
However, I always was convinved that knowing some theory is not only helpful to communicate with others, it can also help to understand better what you´re playing ( in order to maybe recreate it or understand why it sounds good in order to come up with more stuff that sounds good ).
Also, it can open some new doors to you. I know it did for me.

Sure, you can figure out stuff without any theory... but if you do, it might take longer. If you i.e. learn to solo by ear... a lot of the guys who said they´re "ear-players" were actually using pentatonic patterns. They simply didn´t know what those were called.

I´m not talking the real exotic stuff here... you might not need to know the enigmatic scale or twelve-tone-rows... I am talking about simple stuff... modes, how to construct chords, how to play them in different inversions all over the neck, some scales.

You know, one other thing... there sure are some legendary players who don´t know any theory... guys like Jeff Beck and stuff. But also, I noticed that for a while, a lot of players obviously considered it "unhip" to know theory, and therefore said so.

I remember a well-known studio player, who, after Nirvana had become big, all of a sudden said in every interview that "he doesn´t know any of that boring theory, he´s a complete ear-player". Mind you, a guy who had played with an orchestra before, sight-reading, and had talked about the altered pentatonics and odd meters he had used just a few years before.

Of course, it´s up to you whether you learn or don´t, I just figured out that for myself, theory is not only a great tool for all kinds of musical situations, it also helps me to understand a lot better, and it helps me to not get stuck that easy... there´s always something new to explore

Eric

szulc
05-11-2003, 03:10 AM
It is all about you and what level of expression you are willing to accept. If you are gifted and can play anything you think (and can think very cool ideas!), then don't bother wasting anytime with theory or study. But if you are like most mortals, study will help you become more expressive, and think cooler ideas (and therefore play cooler ideas!). There people that can be very expressive with just the Root position Minor Pentatonic (and b5--Blues Scale). To me that was too limiting, so I studied other ideas to give me more weapons to use in my improvisation.

Bizarro
05-11-2003, 04:47 AM
Well, I think you need to develop your ear no matter how you learn how to be a musician.

Everything is connected: brain -> fingers -> "music" -> ears -> brain (back to the starting point!) You're only as strong as your weakest link, and as a musician it better not be your ears!

Theory: I have a love/hate relationship with theory... I have learned quite a bit and I'm still trying to forget it!:D