PDA

View Full Version : site reading hurts!!!

peter_traj
05-12-2003, 02:18 AM
i have had an ongoing argument with my guitar teacher about how benificial it is to be able to site read music. he is classically trained in italy and has been in australia for quite some time but hasnt picked up the language well enough to explain WHY it is so important.all he can say is that it will slow you down in the long run if you dont do it. that explination is not good enough for me so can somone shed some light PLEASE!! i hear of many great guitarists who cant read music. i can understand if you were giong to be in an orchestra,then it would be esential.but how would it benifit if the syles you want to play are ,blues,rock,fusion etc. i just want to eventually be able to write my own arrangements drawing from the influences of other styles.he said to me just yesterday that you cannot compose your own music to its full potential without being able to site read. i just take his word for it and keep doing it but it takes so MUCH of my practise time that could go to learning other things,
thanks, peter

szulc
05-12-2003, 02:25 AM
Reading music is important in order to be able to communicate with yourself (over time) and to communicate with other musicians.
Sight reading is important if you want to be a studio musician.
I personally believe that you will be better if you can read and write music, but I don't really feel that Sight reading is all that important. If you are going to be a musician for a living it is very important, but if you are just playing for fun, read music to learn cool ideas but don't spend a lot of time Sight reading.

Oceano
05-12-2003, 03:39 PM
There is no right or wrong.
YOU have to decide if you think you will benefit from it, or not, and if you want to learn it, or not.

There are some musical areas where you have to sight read if you want to be involved in them (classical, jazz, studio work, etc).

There are also many musical areas where you don't have to read to be a successful musician (most mainstream pop, rock, metal, etc).

And then, there are many musical forms where the music is learned not by reading it, but by being passed on from generation to generation. Blues, Flamenco, Folk, most forms of traditional "Roots" music from many parts of the World.

Knowing how to read music, is not what makes you a better or a complete musician. What and how you play it, is what matters.

Also, reading music is not as hard as it may seem at first.

Koala
05-12-2003, 06:09 PM
I find it real helpful when im bored off my ***, like in a doctors waiting room. I can either write some music if i have a piece of paper and a pencil, or if i have soime sheet music i can just try to sing along.

I think itīs a good tool, and sometimes you might run into a situation where you need it. Mind you im not the best sight reader in the world nor am i close to being it, but i think as a musician it build your confidence , as any other musical knowledge does.

peter_traj
05-12-2003, 09:46 PM
thanks guys ,i appreciate your replys,
Peter