PDA

View Full Version : Sense of Rhythm

Pyrostasis
05-12-2003, 03:51 PM
I'm teaching a few students, and the main thing I've noticed is wrong is that very few of them have a sense of timing. Just wondering has anyone got any ideas on how to bring this out of somone?

Koala
05-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Phew thats a tough one, I think the biggest problem I´ve come across throughout the years is musicians with bad timing. I Think, the best way to solve this or at least make it a bit better is to work a lot with a drum machine, (it´s far more interesting that a metronome). Play straight 8th´s at first, and accent the 1, start real slow at around 60bpm. Then accent the 2, then the 3 then the 4. I believe dynamics help a lot with timing, especially when playing fast.
After the 8thps try 8th note triplets, then 16th notes or quintuplets, make sure its all being played clean and on time.

(I think im borrowing that from a book, probablly petrucci´s rock discipline, check it out if you can)

I hope that made sense.

The other thing i find useful is very simple. Just groove, with your body, or stomp you feet to the beat. Im a terrible dancer hehee but it definitely helps me when im doing something wrong.

Hope that helps

K

Guni
05-12-2003, 09:26 PM
Most of the time I use the approach as described in this article: http://www.ibreathemusic.com/learn/article/32

Hope that helps,

Guni

Chen Wenke
06-16-2003, 02:43 AM
Hi! I am quite new here and also to music... I am bad at Rhythm as well in the begining when I am learning guitar... But I slowly pick it up by singing simple song and clapping along with the bit. It do help a little... And after I get to know the song well and the bit I start playing it on my guitar and thing turn out really well. Now I only have problem with ROCK!!! and 3/4 type of music. Still couldn't cope with it.