PDA

View Full Version : Bassist?

stringsfusion
12-22-2007, 10:31 PM
How did you get into playing this instrument?
I was in high school and my friend told me how
we could start black metal group(he was drummer)
and told me to be singer lol,and bass player.
I ve found Jolana 4 string (60euros,and that was overpriced),
and started my journey...
three years ago on this day :D

hafftaplay
12-24-2007, 04:53 AM
i love bass guitar. my first lessons and instrument was bass in 1966. because of popular music at the time. it was a hoffner beatle bass knock off (i hope)

but i took 2months of lessons and that was that. i took up guitar. blah blah etc.

this past summer i started to play music again and needed a bass for the recordings. i picked up a inexpensive one and playing it is almost more satisfying
than the 6string. it can make or break any tune, imo.
what is so funny is that i didn't stress over learning to play it after so many yrs.
it took no time to connect with it and start playing. i can't say "again" because there really was no "before" with the bass.

everybody i know wants to know if they are good on the guitar, i think they take as a given that if you can play the guitar, you can play the bass.
i would like to hear someone tell me about my bass playing sometime.

Bill Brown
12-24-2007, 09:28 AM
There are some fantastic bass players out there and I doubt the finest of guitar players could come anywhere near doing as good a job! It's a totally different way of playing. I play guitar but I practice quite a bit on bass too. It helps harden the fingertips and strengthen the fingers! :) I also record my own bass parts for my tracks but I'd prefer an experienced bassist to do it.

I can't believe there's only one thread here!! C'mon bassists!! :)

Bill Brown
12-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Oops, just realised there are actually 55 threads, but only this one in the last month.

C'mon bassists!!

Antony Reynaert
01-14-2008, 03:00 PM
There are some fantastic bass players out there and I doubt the finest of guitar players could come anywhere near doing as good a job! It's a totally different way of playing. I play guitar but I practice quite a bit on bass too. It helps harden the fingertips and strengthen the fingers! :) I also record my own bass parts for my tracks but I'd prefer an experienced bassist to do it.

I can't believe there's only one thread here!! C'mon bassists!! :)

I feel the same way,

I'm mainly a guitarist, but having experience on bass can be really helpfull (and fun!) when songwriting or helping you in your practise.

Antony

songright
01-16-2008, 08:05 AM
I started out on bass guitar about 18 years ago. I got into songwriting shortly thereafter and started to play guitar. I also learned basic chords on piano for theory and harmony instruction. I loved the bass... victor wooten, les claypool, flea, jaco, mike watt, and jpj. Anyway, I almost came full circle with bass because I now play acoustic guitar tuned down a whole step, and I favor the percussive playing of my bass guitar past, but on guitar. My first love with music is the bass guitar, and I shall always honor it through my guitar playing. Not much to add, I just love the bass. My prize possession in a MusicMan Sterling purchased around 1994.

OwenM
01-23-2008, 02:50 AM
yeah a pet hate of mine is guitar tutors that teach young bassists 'on the side' because its a few extra 's and then I have to deal with there 'guitar-on-the-bass' playing when they come to college! they are such radically different instruments.

not to say the parralleles they have cant help a bassist play guitar and vice versa of course! But being able to play bass because you can play guitar (or vice versa) is very different from being able to be a bassist or a guitarist!

I myself am still very much a bassist and a 'bass player on guitar' unfortunatly!

The bass, for me is the only instrument I think I could be this happy playing. your one of the only instruments to be truely 'in' two of the aspects of music, ie harmony and rhythm.

rhythm guitars get harmony of course, but that harmony is ultimately goverened by the root note the bassist plays! and they get rhythm, but it is normally a 'fill in over the top' sort of rhythm which cant touch what the bassist and drummer are doing. The bassist can change what he is doing and the whole feel of the rhythm from the ground up is altered!

so yeah, bass is amzing, not to mention you get the only instrument that can truely shake the foundations if needed!

o

stringsfusion
01-23-2008, 09:27 AM
"so yeah, bass is amazing, not to mention you get the only instrument that can truely shake the foundations if needed!"
Extra cool post! keep on rocking!