PDA

View Full Version : Bass/Vocals

Flamingo
02-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Is it possible for a bassist to play complex parts and sing at the same time?I know it takes practise..but is it possible?

pelayo_jose
02-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Well, Geddy Lee from Rush can do it, so it's possible :D

Malcolm
02-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Yes our bass sings and plays at the same time. As to singing and doing complex parts -- it's backup harmony and while he sings, I'm pretty sure he does not throw in any fancy runs or echo melody stuff -- which he can do with the best of them.

I'm acoustic rhythm and always sing the tune under my breath, it seems to help with the timing, tempo and chord changes. Try singing under your breath and as you get comfortable start making a joyful noise.

Scott Free
02-23-2008, 03:39 AM
:cool: Anything is possible with enough dedication.

sullyllus
02-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Is it possible for a bassist to play complex parts and sing at the same time?I know it takes practise..but is it possible?

It def is possible, but it isnt easy (for me anyways.) I was a rhythm guitarist and lead singer for years and believe me that was hell of a lot easier. There are way more notes (usually) to think about when palying bass and singing.

What I have found that helps is to learn your bass part so well that you can do it in your sleep. Then memorize your vocal line seperately till you know that in your sleep. Then try to fuse the two together.

Slowing both down and recognizing where certain words and notes fall simultaneously helps a ton. Good luck. It is def possible, it is just a matter of how hard you practice.

Obivion
02-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Most of the guys who play bass and sing usually do the easy stuff i.e. Mark Anthony from Van Halen.

Only a talented few can play really difficult stuff and sing at the same time.

Spino
03-02-2008, 12:05 PM
I saw Marcus Miller on a TV music show once and as he was singing backgrounds and playing bass, he just played roots no fancy stuff as he sang.

daysinthewake
03-09-2008, 01:30 AM
Paul McCartney has a few interesting things to say about it - he says that it's like your brain disconnects, and you focus on one act, either singing on playing, and the other you do on automatic. If you try focus on both, they both fall apart.