PDA

View Full Version : New Strings. . . . Still Problem

Leviathon
05-23-2003, 04:49 PM
Man do I have to say what a difference new strings make on a guitar. Especially when you take off the origional factory garbage. My squire strat sounds a whole lot better.

I took my axe (if you want to consider a squire an Axe) to my local shop here in Akron (by the way Go Lebron and the Cavs) and had the guy show me how to restring my guitar and to see if the neck needed to be adjusted. The neck needed a little tweaking, but I still have a slight problem.

Low E and A strings will buzz, he said that the first fret is a little to tall and that it needed filed down. I know that I am not able to do it myself, but if anyone is in the Akron, Oh. area and knows of a place where I can have it done let me know.

The guy at the shop said not to worry about it too much because it's a cheaper guitar and that I should worry about learning how to play that guitar and then upgrading to a better on in a few years.

Koala
05-24-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Leviathon
The guy at the shop said not to worry about it too much because it's a cheaper guitar and that I should worry about learning how to play that guitar and then upgrading to a better on in a few years.

Hmm, About repairing the guitar. In my experience, most of the shop guys rearely know much about guitars, so try to find a qualified repairman to tell you whats wrong and how to fix it.

About your quote, even if itīs a cheap guitar you should worry about taking care of it, cuz first of all its YOUR guitar, and its your FIRST guitar, i wish i could have kept my first guitar in a single piece to hand down to my kids someday.

About upgrading once you learn to play, this is an issue iīve never ben really able to make up my mind about. The thing is, i believe a better guitar will be easier to play, with better tone and sustain and it will probablly give you more satisfying results. But then again if you cant afford a top of the line guitar at first (and i couldnt) work with what you got, and work hard as you can and then if someday the opportunity comes along you might see you really love you first not top of the line guitar,
I really donīt know what im getting at, so heck just work hard and take real good care of it, and seriously , try to find someonw who knows gutars to fix it.

P.S. (Have you checked if the action is alirght?)

Bongo Boy
05-24-2003, 03:10 PM
Maybe it's the fret, maybe it's the nut or something else. I'd try to find someone who does guitar repair and looks like they do it for a living to get an opinion, at least.

I'm not a guitar expert at all, but I've looked at Squires and compared them to Fenders and other guitars--I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced Squires are of any less quality than Fenders or Gibsons I've seen--in general. Yes, it may be 'a cheaper guitar' but that doesn't mean it isn't a good instrument. Could be there were some quality control issues--I've seen that on a $4000 Gibson too.

I also take issue with the 'don't worry about it' recommendation. Again, I'm a beginner, and I think it's espectially important for beginners to have an instrument that's set up well and is in tune. Your fingers are learning how to avoid fret buzz (among a lot of other stuff), and buzzing that's not your fault needs to be eliminated. Just my opinion.

Wyll_Watts
05-25-2003, 02:25 AM
some random musings on this subject...

you're average music shop employee is a grab bag of folk wisdom, good advice, and absolute BS.. take everything they say with a grain of salt...
I agree with the others, find a guy who knows what he's doing as far as repairs and such go.. someone who does this sort of thing as a career.. there is a chance you may come across a few good repair guys who won't touch cheaper instruments.. but that's a bad attitude and these people should be avoided on principle.. most good repair guys are really nice though and can understand what it was like to be a beginner and what it's like to work with a cheaper instrument.. cheaper instruments usually just have setup problems and once those are corrected they can give you years of good sound and enjoyment..

on the issue of as Koala said.. it's YOUR guitar and your FIRST guitar.. that's a very important to keep in mind... your guitar may not be the end all greatest guitar on the planet, but it's yours and you can create some beautiful music with it.. and it's your first guitar.. and those things become very emotionaly precious to you after a while.. I mean, I wish I still had my first electric.. imported strat copy, white, in many ways extremely similar to the squire you are playing now.. not the greatest thing around but after I had played it all those years it had character man! and besides, it was what I used to cut my teeth on 'Tallica riffs, I nailed my first Yngwie lick on it.. hell, the thing grew up with me.. I'm going on and on here, but don't diss your first guitar, it may give you some trouble now but years later that thing will mean so much..

Wyll

Leviathon
05-30-2003, 06:31 PM
Well the guy who gave me advice has been playing guitar for close to 25 years and can play pretty good, so I trust his opinion. When he restrung the guitar for me he also adjusted the action and checked the neck to make sure that it didn't need to be adjusted. The guitar does seem to be playin' a whole lot better (had earnie ball strings put on), but he said that since I don't have much into the guitar to not worry about the buzzing on the low E & A strings. He said worry about learning to play it and not so much the buzzing. The buzzing isn't too bad, and you don't really hear going through the amp to much as well.

Bongo Boy
05-30-2003, 11:54 PM
Well, only you can be the judge--you know, whether you feel in your gut that someone's kinda full of it or sounds like they know what they're talking about. I saw in an article somewhere that the pro luthier-type guys use feeler gages to actually measure the clearance between the frets and the strings--and of course feeler gages are cheap and readily available. Using them takes a certain 'touch', and on a guitar, where the string can be moved by the gage, I'd think it takes even more experience (that it does with, say, a spark plug :D).

In any case, I'd agree with him: don't worry about it. On the other hand, I'd also say you can have someone troubleshoot it and recommend a fix.

Now, just as a general rule (and this has nothing to do with your guy at the shop), but just because someone has been doing something for a long, long time doesn't mean they're any good at it or that they've improved over that time--don't equate the two automatically. You know what I'm sayin?