PDA

View Full Version : Improving Technique

BillBass
07-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Hi there, from Brighton UK

I saw on this forum someone say they had fantastic technique. How does one get this? Seriously, I've been playing a couple of years, am in a band, loving it, but am aware that my technique is not that great. e.g. sometimes sound a bit jerky. That kind of thing.

I would welcome any tips from you in this forum based on your own experiences. What brought you on when you were on a bit of a plateau.

Thanks,
Andy

Obivion
07-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Jerky?
You mean your rhythm is a bit off? Try using a metronome to get the beat dead on which is important for a bas player. You might wanna look into some funk techniques such as slap and pop to spice up your playing (depending on the style your in, it might not too cool in a metal band for example), most large music stores will have videos and books on this stuff and there are always guys on here to help you out.
And as with any instrument, it's important listen to ridiculous amounts of music and steal ideas from everywhere.

PookLowEnd
07-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Hi there, from Brighton UK

I saw on this forum someone say they had fantastic technique. How does one get this? Seriously, I've been playing a couple of years, am in a band, loving it, but am aware that my technique is not that great. e.g. sometimes sound a bit jerky. That kind of thing.

I would welcome any tips from you in this forum based on your own experiences. What brought you on when you were on a bit of a plateau.

Thanks,
Andy

As opposed to talent, techinique is something (I believe) you HAVE to learn, either by having lessons or watching other people and how they play. YouTube is very helpful in that department in case you're not serious enough about your playing to go out and get a teacher, since there's a few videos up there that discusses several techniques for several styles of playing; I would advice to check that out or just hire a teacher :).

Koala
10-01-2008, 03:49 PM
I agree. Technique is something that comes from practice. Some people get better at it faster than other, and that is most likey due to better practicing and maybe a wee bit of luck. Try working on exercises at slow tempos, where you dont really feel challenged, and then work the tempo up from there, making sure your technique remains flawless. If youre stiffening up, or fretting harder, or simply tripping all over the place, take it back a notch until you feel comfortable again. Increments of 8bpm, work nicely for me when working on technique. Just make sure not to obsess over technique and forget about music!

hope this helps,

Tucson Bass
10-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Technique is not necessarily musical. Check out Victor Wooten's lessons on right hand technique's that are posted here

http://tucsonbassplayer.blogspot.com/2008/07/victor-wooten-bass-technique-lesson.html

to give you an idea of how technique is looked at in a broken down, simple way.

Ascaris
10-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Exercises exercises exercise. Push yourself. Attention to detail.

Things that push me on? Being in a situation (not necessarily pleasant) in which a higher demand is put on my technique. Pretty simple.
And I'll never be any good at slap, because I can't stand it for more than 5 seconds. And yes, I play in metal bands.

el_macleod
06-12-2009, 05:34 AM
I'd have to agree with Ascaris; one of the best ways to learn is to play stuff that's slightly out of your league. By all means practice stuff that's fun and easy, but after a while you need something to kick you in the right direction. And playing easy stuff all the time won't do that effectively as harder stuff will, as well as being a place to develop bad technique.