PDA

View Full Version : Opeth - Damnation

potshot
06-07-2003, 04:45 PM
I just picked this up yesterday with Morningrise. My first ever Opeth purchase. I'm not a big fan of growling vocals, but I was really impressed when I went to see their concert. Damnation is their new album, which is kinda a brother album to Deliverance. Damnation is the softer one, so I knew it would be more likely to be easy on my ears.

I really like it. These guys are really talented. I still don't dig the growling vocals they use mostly, but their music is awesome. So for me, Damnation is great. I guess I'm a bit like someone who goes along and buys The Division Bell and thinks they're a Pink Floyd fan, or Falling Into Infinity and thinks they're a DT fan :D But hey, if it's good, it's good...

Wizbit81
06-07-2003, 05:03 PM
Glad to see another opeth fan. Check out Still Life and Blackwater Park, amazing stuff. The vocals are part of the dynamics of the band. The loud and soft contrast floors me every time!!!

Wyll_Watts
06-07-2003, 07:02 PM
yeah, Opeth is deffinately very cool..
I think Blackwater Park is probably their best (or at least in the top two..) I'm a big fan of their acoustic passages.. very beautiful stuff...

Wyll

Oceano
06-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Hey man, it's never too late to become a fan of a band. Better late than never.

TOGO
06-12-2003, 11:55 AM
It's the same thing with me and the vocals. I really don't like that growling (same thing with In Flames). But they do have VERY beautiful passages and also some nice rocking parts. Some song that I just love is "Face of Melinda" - I think that one is just great ! And the singer is also able to sing clean with a very nice voice I think. So it's a great band and I thought of buying Damnation, too.

JEM555
06-12-2003, 08:31 PM
Opeth rocks, saw them 2 months ago, but im more into Children of Bodom at the time
Blackwater park is really the best album along with morningrise