PDA

View Full Version : Riffs verse Melody

pkutcher
06-13-2003, 03:57 AM
Hey guys,
Long time no talk!
I just wanted to comment on structure of different songs. I am having the problem of leaving a fixed set of chordal progressions(arpegiated of course) in all my songs I make, meaning the rhythem of my songs all sound the same. Here is an example:

Hotel California versus a Tool Song
hotel california has a different melody line all through the song, it seems like soloing the whole way opposed to a tool song that pretty much stays consistant through out the entire song, do you know where I am getting at?
I want to leave this chordal block I am in and write a melody that is not based around chordal shapes?

ANy advice?

szulc
06-15-2003, 03:19 AM
I am not sure I get it!
Are you saying your song is too much like Tool or too much like Hotel California? How about we discuss an actual song of yours?
Maybe give us the progression and tab or MP3 so we can understand what you want.

You are saying that all your songs have a fixed set of (Arpegiated) chordal progression. What is the fixed set progression? (ie. vi ii V I etc...)

So are you saying that Hotel California is too much based on Arpeggios and you would rather write more like Tool?

Koala
06-15-2003, 07:11 PM
LOLOL i really dont get it.

Wyll_Watts
06-15-2003, 09:48 PM
I might be wrong, but I think what he was getting at is this..
his songs are repeating arpeggio riffs, kinda like in some Tool songs where they take a riff and play it a thousand times with just a few variations.. I think what he wants to do is write a song or some progressions that have an implied or definate melody in them with variations throughout...

one way to achieve this.. compose a melody, then pick various ways to embelish it, arpeggios, strums, whatever.. come up with several different ways to play it, and just mess around with them and see if there are things you like.. as far as variations while your playing, just analyze how others vary their playing, noodle around alot and just listen for cool things.. after a while you'll be able to embelish or add variations to your playing without much too much difficulty....

ummm.. I guess a more straightforward answer would be.. if you don't want your melody based on a chordal structure.. write the melody first add the chords later.. I have a feeling that you naturally gravitate towards some chord shapes and arppegios and tend to come up with your stuff out of that pallet.. so just try writing a melody without thinking of the chords or certain shapes and then just add the rest in once you have a good idea of the melody you want to play..

not sure if I really answered anything, but oh well..

Wyll

pkutcher
06-18-2003, 08:13 PM
Hey, Wyll_Watts hit it right on! Thanks buddy, I will work on making melodies first. I was just taking different chords, like extened chords and Sus and trying to make melodies that way.
Sometimes it works well, example being the intro to stairway to heaven.