PDA

View Full Version : composing hip hop

Rob D
06-21-2003, 12:37 AM
ok, i've been producing hip hop beats for a while now and i'm looking for a new progression to use. I've been using the I-IV-V progression usually Cmi, Fmi, Gmi. It works ok, but i don't want all my songs to be like that. I also need some tips on voicing because i'm still not very sure about how to voice the chords. I also need some tips on bass walking. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Koala
06-21-2003, 03:26 AM
For the basics on voicings i recommend you read this article by Guni
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/learn/article/56
and then carry on from there to the following articles. (chord scales articles should help you out as well)

szulc
06-21-2003, 12:45 PM
I am not really sure how you define hip-hop but you should analyze music that YOU feel fits this category and collect progressions in a notebook. Try to understand the theory that is being used and the common chord progressions. Then since ths is what you are trying to emulate, make your music using similar changes. I am not sure how bass walking comes into play in hip-hop however you can find some good articles on the web about walking bass lines. These are usually in a jazz or blues context. Typically walking bass lines follow the same or similar rules to improvising over a given chord progression, but usually the bass sticks to the 1 (3)and 5 chord tones on strong beats, whereas lead instuments usually are staying with upper tensions. Many times walking bass lines follw rigid intervallic formulae, and as a result turn out to be somewhat modal.