PDA

View Full Version : Keyboards and built in teaching functions

Timestorm
04-24-2009, 06:41 AM
A couple of months ago i decided to get a keyboard to help with learning music theory - (Yamaha PSR E413), and i've also been having a go on it's teaching function and so far i quite like it. However, id like to know if anyone else has tried learning from built in teaching functions and what they think of them. Good idea? Or do they just teach bad habits? Im still gonna learn standard notation etc but i'd just like to hear others experiences.

Malcolm
04-24-2009, 12:55 PM
As far as learning bad habits -- if you are self taught -- that kind of goes with the territory. Mine does not have a teaching function - or I have not found it, but, I see nothing wrong with using it.

Alfred's # 1 book and a fingering guide for you scales are the normal self taught route. Yes, you gotta do those scales to get your fingers doing what they should do. Plus it's a great way to get both hands working at the same time.

Flash cards cost $4 a pack. Scatter several packs around so when you have a few moments you can get some study in. When you can identify and say the name of the note in the same amount of time you can say your name you will be ready to start reading and finding the notes on your keyboard, i.e. playing songs.

After you work your way through Alfred's first book you will then know which way you want to take your music.
Classical by rote.
Pop by rote.
Lead sheet or fake chord (no bass clef) Melody with the right hand and chords with the left hand.
Chord accompaniment - just play chords and let your voice provide the melody, i.e. strum your keyboard.

Have fun.

Timestorm
04-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks Malcolm. Hope i dont pick up too many bad habits! I'm currently working on scales/intervals/chord construction. Using a keyboard for learning this stuff makes it a lot more straight-forward. Chord inversions make perfect sense on a keyboard too - less hand movement. I originally got the keyboard mainly for learning music theory and to use the drumbeats as an alternative to a metronome but i'm getting quite into learning to play it now so i'll definately be sticking with it.

Malcolm
04-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Yes I did the same. Keyboard to work out (see) theory and to use as a drum machine. Inversions made no since to me on guitar, should rephrase that I understood what they were, but, saw no reason to use them.

I now use inversions as one of my keyboard accompaniment patterns, i.e. Root or root octave with the left hand, block chord with the right hand then 1st inversion, then back to block chord - works great in a 4/4 measure.

Something else I've found and would like to share -- my sheet music books -- I've taken them to a print shop and had the spline cut and spiral bound. They now fit on the music stand like they should. Cost $4 per book.

Enjoying my journey. Have something new that will keep me interested for quite some time.