PDA

View Full Version : practise questions part 1

peter_traj
07-04-2002, 12:42 AM
hi guys, now that i am starting to get the theory side of things reasonably in control i want to start to focus on my playing and technique so here is the first of many questions!!!first up i want to ask about chords. when i practise chords i use the barre form only ,even though i do know my open ones but i find the barre more challenging and more rewarding. i am using the 6,5 and 4 string roots and playing I,IV,V in every key over and over. for the 6 string root i use the Eform barre. for the 5th string i use the A form and for the 4th string the Dform. i play across the fret board and not just up and down. this keeps hand movements to a minnimum. my question is, do i have to learn the Cform and the Gform barre? are they so important that i would eventually have to use them in some point in time? can you give me an example where the Cform and Gform would be important?
also can anyone suggest a better practising routine for chords?
thanks and hope to hear from you soon
peter

szulc
07-04-2002, 01:43 AM
You want to learn as many base movable chord forms as possible.

You are going to find that you are not able to reproduce the sounds EXACTLY the way you heard them on some recording because you are limiting your use of chord inversions.

The problem with learning 'E' 'A' and 'D' forms is that you are learning only 1 Particular inversion of the chord.
Many songs will require different forms to be used inorder to accurately reproduce the sound of the original song.
Thae fact that transposition is easy on the Guitar has become somewhat of a "double edged sword" in that, you can easily transpose, so you are likely to only learn things one way.

Let me reiterate my comment from an earlier post; Just because you CAN voice all six notes of a barre form doesn't mean that you need to or should.

I posted a couple of graphics to your earlier request for info demonstrating close voice major triads, I suggest that you use this as a template to learn ALL the triad forms on groups of three strings. None of these require a Barre. The importat thing is understanding where they are in relation to each other and visualizing the shapes. You need only flt the third to make all the minor forms, and flat the 3rd and 5th to make all the Diminished forms.

The 'C' Form is used quite a bit usually in first inversion voiced only on the 'D' 'G' and 'B' strings. ( the Who Won't get Fooled Again the last chord before all the A chords at the end)

The 'G' form is less common and usually found voiced in 1st inversion on the 'A' 'D' and 'G' strings (Think Jimi Hendrix the wind cries Mary) or in second or root inversion starting on the 'D' or 'G' string respectively.

Why do you want to cut corners?

Those of us giving advice here have been "around the block a few times" and ar not purposely givng you 'bogus' advice.

Don't fall into the trap of simplifying the things you don't yet understand, the guitar makes that too easy.

Remember Charkie Parker said " FIRST: Master you instrument, THEN Forget that %$#& and Play".

Right now you are working on the FIRST part.

peter_traj
07-04-2002, 04:50 AM
that was a GREAT reply and i will take the advice.