PDA

View Full Version : sheet music

iheartriot18
08-12-2009, 07:36 PM
what are you some sites online that have good sheet music that i can print out? of like more modern songs and what not? i really cant afford to keep buying individual sheet music! thanks:)

Malcolm
08-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Google these words:
Lead sheets, "name of the song"
Sheet music, "name of the song"

Good luck most sheet music is not free.

Crossroads
08-13-2009, 06:21 AM
If you buy a typical songbook of one of you favourite players, that will usually include about 12 to 20 complete songs, with full TAB and full notation, some brief explanation of what scales are used in the playing, and a demo CD showing how each part is played (inc. slowed down sections) .... all for about 10 to 20 (maybe $15 to $30).

Frankly that's absolute peanuts for what a good songbook like that contains.

And, unless those are really simple pop tunes (not really guitar based bands), then it will probably keep you busy for at least a year working through all those ... just memorising all the notes and all the different sections to 20 typical guitar pieces is a major undertaking in itself.

I understand why guys here often ask for links to free stuff on the net, but really I don't think that's a serious way to practice & learn guitar or music.

So my advice is always - if guys can afford an electric guitar and an amp, then 99% of them can certainly also afford a least 3 or 4 good instructional books and DVD's to learn their favourite songs, favourite playing styles, and from which they can make-up their own really good daily practice schedule (which will last them for years).

Ian.

Malcolm
08-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Frankly that's absolute peanuts for what a good songbook like that contains.
Ian.
Ian brings up a good point, I have one book (listed below) and each song in that book cost me about 5 cents.

The Ultimate Country Fake Book has 700 songs and cost $39.95 US. Forty dollars for 700 songs. It's in lead sheet format.

Hal Leonard - The Decade Series - Songs of the 40's (now you know how old I am) for example cost $10 US and has 75 to 80 songs in lead sheet format. Seventy five songs from your decade for $10 that's less than 15 cents a copy.

Jazz Guitar Standards by MelBay has 20 songs for $20, however each song is in lead sheet, chord melody, comping backup and single line improvisation format. Twenty of your jazz favorites in four different formats for $20

Single song sheet music can be expensive, however, if you purchase books of sheet music the cost per song is very reasonable.

Good luck.

bluesking
08-13-2009, 01:52 PM
If you like Jazz you can't beat the Real Book. Hundreds upon hundreds of jazz standards for about 15 / 20$. Great value, but you need to understand your chord construction as all the harmony is not shown on the stave.

If you want to do it on the cheap (as I generally do) use those things hanging off either side of your head. Not only is it free but each song learnt by ear is worth 3 songs learnt from notation in terms of your musical development.

If you find transcribing by ear hard thats all the more reason to do it. If you keep shying away from learning by ear (as I did for years) you are crippling yourself.

Crossroads
08-13-2009, 02:25 PM
If you want to do it on the cheap (as I generally do) use those things hanging off either side of your head. Not only is it free but each song learnt by ear is worth 3 songs learnt from notation in terms of your musical development.

If you find transcribing by ear hard that's all the more reason to do it. If you keep shying away from learning by ear (as I did for years) you are crippling yourself.

Yep, agree with that. Transcribing by ear may seem very hard at first (I once thought it was utterly impossible!), but in the long run it's a very useful skill, and personally I'd advise doing that rather than messing around with commercial RP courses.

As an easier introduction, most instructional DVD's don't come with any TAB or notation, and on the more advanced ones the guy won't stop to tell you what notes/frets he's playing ... so if you want to transcribe the examples then you have to watch carefully and listen carefully to the sound of what notes are being played.

Back with the idea of buying stuff - for about $20 a shot, the Hal Leonard Signature Licks series is mostly very good, and as well as the TAB and notation, you get an instructional CD with tricky sections slowed down so you can hear more clearly what's being played.

Ian.