View Full Version : Slide to Nowhere?

07-14-2003, 08:50 PM
This is kinda hard for me to explain but I will try.. When I see a / (slash) on a tab I know that means slide. But what if the slide doesnt go to a particular note?.. An example of an easy slide would be like - - - - -6/8 - - - - (slide from fret 6 to fret 8). But what if the it just says 6/ and doesnt give a destination note? I see it all the time and I can never seem to make it sound right.. Is it a combination of a slide and a pull off? tia

ps: sometimes its vise versa too.. Like they will have /6


07-14-2003, 09:20 PM
I guess you mean a "slide to nowhere" or "slide from nowhere".
The latter means, you fret the string at a low fret, pick it at the same instant ( or hammer on ) and then slide up to the actual note you wanna play.
The "slide to nowhere" means you play a note and then quickly slide down the string as far as you wanna... to stop the sound, simply mute the string and take your finger off of it.
A bit tough to explain, but once you can nail it, itīll be a natural part of your playing.
Oh, one more thing: I never think about where I start or end those "random slides", I just go for it... doesnīt really matter.
Experiment with it
Hope this helps

07-15-2003, 01:13 PM
Cool thanks. That is pretty much what I figured but I wanted to make sure so I could practice it the right way.