PDA

View Full Version : Listening recommendations Pt.1

EricV
04-18-2002, 09:20 PM
Yo, I just figured I´d post a few listening recommendations that might be of interest for some of you... Feel free to add yours or comment on mine :D

1. Jason Becker- Perspective
This is one of the most beautiful albums I have EVER heard... it has so many great melodies and chord progressions, awesome arrangements, great guitar-work by Michael Lee Firkins, and it shows that Jason Becker not only was an amazing guitar-player, but was and still is an incredibly gifted composer / songwriter

2. Steve Morse Band- Split Decision
The newest effort by the SMB... it sounds very innovative, fresh, new... lots of great riffs & melodies and, as always, stunning guitar-work

3. Tony MacAlpine, Brian Auger, Dennis Chambers, B. Brunel- Cab2
This is a great fusion-album with impressive instrumental contributions by those four guys. It even has been nominated for a Grammy this year. IMHO, this is not another tiresome "big star-lineup" with boring compositions just for the sake of showing-off, it has some awesome melodies, great guitar leads, and a band-interplay that practically jumps at you

4. Attention Deficit- The Idiot King
This album didnt get much attention, but is a great fusion effort ( just like the first album by them ) by Alex Skolnick, Tim Alexander & Mike Manring. Somewhere between Zappa, Mahavishnu & King Crimson ( remember: this is just my opinion ! :rolleyes: )

5. Joey Tafolla- Plastic
Last but not least, something for the shred-freaks among you. It´s been quite a while since the last Tafolla-album, and again he managed to re-invent himself... the first album was a neoclassical one, the second was more fusion and a bit Steve Morse-influenced, this one merges many styles and comes over like a great uplifting rock-fusion effort with some sensational guitar work by Tafolla ( reminded me of Vai, Greg Howe and Richie Kotzen at times )...

Hope you found those interesting... maybe you´ll find some cool music. As I said, feel free to add your own recommendations or comment on mine
Warm regards
Eric V.

nickwellings
05-04-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by EricV

1. Jason Becker- Perspective
This is one of the most beautiful albums I have EVER heard... it has so many great melodies and chord progressions, awesome arrangements, great guitar-work by Michael Lee Firkins, and it shows that Jason Becker not only was an amazing guitar-player, but was and still is an incredibly gifted composer / songwriter

God, yes yes yes.

End of The Beginning is splendid Higher is lovely, the WHOLE album slays all.

And to think, he did it whilst being only able to blink.

Jason inspires.

Hm.

I have a list to compile I guess. It'll be tough to narrow it down!!

EricV
05-14-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by nickwellings

I have a list to compile I guess. It'll be tough to narrow it down!!

Nick,

I am looking forward to see your list of recommendations... as I said, this thread was made up for people to add theirs...
Warm regards
Eric

NP: Scott Henderson- Dog Party

TaikaJim
05-14-2002, 03:13 PM
Well you guys seem to be pretty much all metalheads ;)
but heres something different.

Femi Kuti : Fight to win. Femi is Fela Kutis son if that tells you anything.

Jimmy Smith : Cool blues. A nice live album. Nice guitar work from Eddie McFadden too.

EricV
05-14-2002, 03:43 PM
Hi Taika Jim

Well, I wouldnt consider myself a metalhead. Cab, Attention Deficite and Perspectives are far away from being metal... also it depends on my mood... sometimes I´m listening to a certain style for days, then I switch to something completely different...
This week, I have been listening to stuff by Scott Henderson, Wayne Krantz, George Benson, mixed up with the new Ozzy Osbourne-album, Dave Martone, MacAlpine´s "Freedom To Fly" and a Michael Brecker-album...
So in case I´ll do another recommendations-list, it might look completely different.
I like your recommendations, am familiar with the Jimmy Smith album, I like that one...
Warm regards
Eric

NP: Wes Montgomery- Best Of Wes ( see ? ;) )

Guni
05-14-2002, 03:58 PM
oh, I love Jimmy Smith!!

"Back at the Chicken Shack" is my favourite album ....

:D

TaikaJim
05-14-2002, 03:58 PM
sometimes I´m listening to a certain style for days, then I switch to something completely different...

Yeah, im like that too. I even have my classical "periods" once in a while.

NP: Wes Montgomery- Best Of Wes ( see ? )

Lol....
Lets see here what can i find from my archives...

NP: Iron Maiden - The Trooper HA! :D

nickwellings
05-15-2002, 02:06 PM
Lately, I've been copping jazz solos...or rather, butchering them.

I find its a great approach to refining phrasings.

Its the bop stuff that slays me...I can't do that... :P

But, songs like Cantelope Island, Song For My Father (WICKED SAX SOLO) and all the standards, by various guys, they have really helped me phrase better.

The "Kind Of Blue" Album is a great resource too I found. It allowed me to practice my meagre modal chops over the sublime music. And the solo's on it are about as perfect as I can think of...so most times I just try and copy them :D

TaikaJim
05-20-2002, 05:32 PM
Grant Green- Am I blue

I dont know if this is a new release but i saw it in a music shop the other day. I dloaled few mp3´s... what can i say... amazing stuff.

szulc
05-24-2002, 04:23 PM
Jan Ackkerman Live! ( Fusion from Hell!)
George Lynch - Sacred Groove
With Dokken - Back For the Attack

Pat Martino - Joyous Lake
Pat Methany - 80/81
Bela Fleck (Pick one) Flight of the Cosmic Hippo
Greg Howe - Introspection ( This is just ridiculous the way he mixes it up, sweeps(Like Yngwie),alterating picking Like Morse or Gilbert), string skipping (like Nuno ) all over tough chord changes(Like Joe Diorio), I really can't think of anyone in this guy's league, Did I mention FEEL!)
Blues Saraceno - Never Look Back. Plaid [ Mostly Pentatonic with incredible phrasing ( punch in and out heaven), and great FEEL]
Joe Satraini- Not of this earth ( the title says it all, pitch axis at its finest, Tristano is proud)
Jeff Watson - Solo( Lone Ranger?) on shrapnel, great synth like two handed tapping and unorthodox alternating picking.
Wes Montomgery - the Dynamic Duo with Jimmy Smith
SRV- Lenny, The Sky is Crying

EricV
05-24-2002, 04:36 PM
OH MY GOD !
JAMES !!! Great recommendations ! I LOVE many of those records, and some even influenced me quite a bit !

Originally posted by szulc
George Lynch - Sacred Groove
Yup, I like that one a lot. I always liked George´s style, very "alive", great phrasing. BTW, he once did a cover version of "People Get Ready" for a Jeff Beck-tribute sampler... I loved his leads on that, very emotional...

Greg Howe - Introspection
YES ! I LOVE Greg Howe´s music. I do own all of his solo records, and he influenced me quite a bit years ago, when I grew tired of all the neoclassical-stuff for a while... him and RIchie Kotzen do have great styles... they even did two records together.
You´re mentioning Howe´s mixing-up of techniques... On "Introspection", in track 7 ( is that one called "Direct Injection" ?... I don´t have the CD around right now... ) he does this amazing solo which seems to be just a blur of notes, mixing up techniques like legato and picking.
He also has cool melodies and uses the stretch-pentatonic to a great effect... I recently wrote an article for ibreathe about that, it should be published soon...

Blues Saraceno - Never Look Back. Plaid
Another great player. Most people prefer "Plaid" but I like "Never Look Back" just as much. It´s amazing, this dude just uses a guitar with a humbucker, a tube amp and maybe some Wah, and gets such a great sound.
Also, his phrasing is great, there´re some cool solos on there, and I also like the compositions...
And to think that the dude was like 17 when he recorded "Never Look Back"...

Joe Satraini- Not of this earth
Agreed. These days, after all these years of Joe being successful, some people tend to forget about that record. But I think it has some of his most stunning playing, great compositions ( as you said: pitch axis ) and great melodies...
"Memories" is one of my favorites on there... some great melodies, and I love the rhythm guitar on that one.
And "Rubina" definitely is one of his best ballads ever, although I like the live versions on "Time Machine" and "Live In S.F." even better than the studio one...

Thanks for those recommendations...
Let´s see what the others´ll add !
Warm regards
Eric

TaikaJim
05-24-2002, 05:34 PM
For those of you that havent checked out Jimmy Bruno yet i suggest you do so.

Those of you that enjoy surf music check out Laika And The Cosmonauts

Lately ive been listening to Steve Khan. Some of his stuff is truly amazing. I just bought a chord book he made. Good stuff also.

Also you might want to check this guitarist Ben Granfelt. Hes finnish, like me :). He does some good stuff sometimes. You can find some of his songs in mp3 format on audiogalaxy if thats your poison.

Puya. Latin and Jazz mixed with metal = good stuff.

NP: Jimmy Bruno- A rose for peg

Guni
05-24-2002, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE]Lately ive been listening to Steve Khan. [QUOTE]

I know Steve Khan through his solo album 'Headline'. Quite some nice jazzy works on there - and a nice lineup: Ron Carter, Al Foster, Dennis Chambers ... reads like NY's who is who ....

Anyway, I just had a look on the internet for steve khan and found http://www.stevekhan.com. Under 'Khan's Corner' Khan offers transcriptions by Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, etc..... together with sound files and personal notes - for those of you who are interested.

Guni

TaikaJim
05-24-2002, 06:28 PM
Yea that Khans corner is great. The only thing that bothers me is that the transcriptions are scanned from his hand made transcriptions, so its sometimes a little hard to read whats actually written there.

Guni
05-24-2002, 11:25 PM
yeah that is a real bummer - I wonder why he can't do this properly ....