PDA

View Full Version : picks and strings

flathead
07-17-2003, 05:03 PM
I use thick picks and strings (11's). Lately I been working on sweep picking and more speed type runs. Is it better to have thinner picks and/or strings when sweep picking/legato type stuff. Thanks

Koala
07-17-2003, 05:09 PM
Well low action light strings definitely make legato runs and sweep picking a bit easier. About pick thickness i wouldnt worry too much. Still it all comes down to your personal taste.

eastwood
07-18-2003, 09:48 AM
I fing I get more 'feel' with a heavy gauge pick - I tent to use 1.14mm ones.

I used to use 1.5mm & 2mm - I personally found these too heavy.

A thicker pick will not give as much as a thinner pick - the thicker ones tend to be good for alternate picking.

Daz

EricV
07-18-2003, 01:09 PM
Exactly... most shredders use very thick picks... Yngwie uses i.e. a 1.5 mm Delrin, Timmons uses a Dunlop Jazz III XL, Petrucci prefers a regular Jazz III, Gilbert uses one similar to Fender Heavy Picks.
Just like Eastwood said, a heavy pick doesnīt give as much, and that helps to pick the string a bit faster...
Of course itīs up to you, though.

I just feel that a heavy pick allows for more speed, and also, more control when it comes to fast rhythm and artificial harmonics. Thatīs why I have been using heavy picks for many years now.
Eric

szulc
07-19-2003, 01:00 PM
I believe I discussed this in this thread
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=414&highlight=dunlop

DDTonFire
07-20-2003, 04:13 AM
So really how does a pick's thickness affect style?

Common sense would tell you that a thin pick would pick faster than a heavier pick. But it doesnt happen that way. Why?

potshot
07-20-2003, 04:58 AM
The thin pick will bend more on the string, hence it will take more push to get it to actually pick the string, I imagine